Reloading the 5.7x28

Carbon_15

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I picked up an FN FiveseveN pistol this weekend at the gunshow. I was wondering if you guys could share some reloading data with me using 40 grain bullets. Being a cheap-o I dont like to buy powder for just one caliber...I prefer powder that can multitask.
Currently I load .38, .380acp, .357, 30-06 and 7.62x39
Powder I have on hand that may be suitable:
Accurate 1680
Alliant Power Pistol
Alliant American Select

Carbon_15

care to give me some insight on what powders will work well with the .40gr bullets acording to Lyman...or should I just buy the book :)

darkgael

5.7X28

care to give me some insight on what powders will work well with the .40gr bullets acording to Lyman...or should I just buy the book
With all due respect - a couple of things.
You were given some insight to appropriate powders. The Ramshot powder is True Blue. In addition, Hodgdon's HS-6 works well.
Yes, you should buy the Lyman manual and pick up the data sheets (free) from Accurate and Ramshot.

I understand from your OP that you reload. Good, the 5.7 is not a cartridge to learn on. It is extremely finicky about charges. You are using charges in the six grain area and the difference between safe and blowing the neck of the case is measured in tenths of a grain.
The 5.7 case stretches - the shoulder blows forward - proportionately more than any case I have ever seen. This is a result of the delayed blowback system. The delay itself is effected by a coating on the case that causes it to stick in the chamber a tad longer than it would otherwise; the timing of that delay is important and one reason why the use of proper propellants is important.
When sizing the case, it is important to set the shoulder back to spec. If your die/press combo has any slack in it at all, that may not happen. It is common to set the press so that it "overcams" a bit when sizing.
Pete

Carbon_15

Thanks for the advice guys.
I have been reloading and casting for about 10 years, but I must admit this little bugger has me a little intemidated. The whole reason I bought the pistol was becasuse I wanted something new and interesting to reload.
Still waiting on my dies, but I think I will play it safe and buy a can of AA #7 (and maybe a more sensitive scale). #7 should work well in .357 loads also

of the (+ or -) 40 cartridges I reload for, the 5.7 X 28 out of the FN is the hardest most frustrating cartridge to reload, & has the shortest case life... it's not so bad out of a fixed breach gun like the Contender though... however, new brass is not available, ( rumor has it Starline is going to start selling new brass, weather it's pre-laquered or not ??? )... unless you are a glutton for punishment, ( or like I do, look at reloading as a completely different hobby ) I suggest selling the once fired cases, & finding your best bulk prices on loaded ammo

if you are still thinking about reloading it, here are some problems I ran into... besides finding the right powder... my early ( I think Lyman dies ) were too long, & I had to have my machinist buddy shorten them ) I had to buy 3 different shell holders before I found one that fit tight enough not to damage the tiny rim, with all the force needed to properly resize the case ( damaged rims & stuck cases were common, when I 1st started )... I had a file trim die made, as the brass stretches more than any other I reload for... I've pulled off 3-4 necks & stuck them in the sizing die, out of the 500 - 600 rounds I've reloaded...they were thinned on the inside, where the shoulder was movd from & you couldn't tell from the outside ( now I pre-inspect using a bright light & shining it into the cases, I can usually see a bright ring ) I went throuh 4-5 different lubes before I found something that worked well on the laquered cases as much as they need to be sized... some primers are staked, I just seat primers in the staked pockets, but it takes a little futzing sometimes... I had a 5-7% failure rate in once fired cases I bought, & 7-10% on twice fired, I haven't reloaded that many 3 times fired, but suspect the failure rate will be higher yet, plus it may be time to re-laquer them for proper function in the FN...

I have used some powders that there is not loading data available, using my Contender barrel as a test barrel, but as DARKGAEL indicated, the burn rate needs to be just right for the FN to function reliably... one interesting thing, is that the gun has a fast enough twist rate to stabilize much heavier bullets than what are available in factory loads, but powders & charges must be chosen carefully with various bullet weights, not only for function, but also to prevent a KB ... ( a search may turn up 4-5 guns that have KB'ed )... probably all related to reloads, so I'm very carefull, starting with the Contender barrel 1st, then working up loads I've tested in the Contender & deemed safe powder charges in .2 grain increments

Last edited:

Carbon_15

or like I do, look at reloading as a completely different hobby

Bingo. I love reloading and casting just adds another dimension to it. I have gotten into calibers just because I wanted to cast bullets for them.
Its a sickness

darkgael

5-7

Well...since this thread is still developing. Before there was any data available from any company, I tried a number of other propellants with mixed success. No KBs and they all went bang. Accuracy was erratic.
Some powders that I tried were AA#9, Unique, Blue Dot, 2400, 4064 (yes, for subsonic loads. it didn't last long). None worked as well as the #2 and #5 Accurates and True Blue from Ramshot - except for HS-6.
Of these, the only ones that I use now are True Blue and HS 6.
Pete

Last edited:

dsv424

Go to this site for extensive info on loading the 5.7x28mm:

http://www.fivesevenforum.com/

I have got 99% of all my data from this site. Look up Grantness, he is the most helpful. Some of the others can be a bit arrogant and offensive, especially if they deem your question stupid in their eyes.

My favorite load so far is 40 grain Vmax Hornady or 40 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip with 5.6 grains True Blue, case trimmed to 1.130 and seat the bullet at 1.580. Works great in my AR-57. But you need to be careful loading this round. It has very tight tolerances. Regarding recommended equipment and dies go to the site I posted, it has all the info you need to load this round.

darkgael

Yep

+1 about the five seven forum.
Some of those fellows were pioneering the loading a long time before there was any factory data. Unfortunately, there was a server crash a year or so ago and a lot of the early data was lost.
The very fine Elite Ammunition is produced by one of the fellows who was doing the early testing on that site.
Pete

Carbon_15

Thanks everyone,
I ended up getting a can of AA#7 , 100 39gr varmint grenades and 100 blitzking bullets yesterday. Still Waiting on my dies. I'll let you know how it goes.

Now I gotta get a PS90 and SBR it:cool:

dsv424

BTW, the powders I have used for this caliber are: True Blue, HS-7, Blue Dot, and AA#7. All these have worked well for this round. From what I have seen the most popular powder is True Blue. You may want to get one of these as opposed to trying or finding any data on the powders you have. I haven't seen any recipes for those powders yet.

Walkalong

Look up Grantness, he is the most helpful. Some of the others can be a bit arrogant and offensive,
Yep, Grantness is very helpful, but as far as some of the others go, that is why I do not post there anymore. ;)

Lots of good info there though, including some posts by me with loads I shot in my AR 57.

Carbon_15

I went throuh 4-5 different lubes before I found something that worked well on the laquered cases as much as they need to be sized... some primers are staked, I just seat primers in the

I have One-Shot, RCBS case lube (the syrupy stuff) and Redding sizing wax. Three totaly different types of lube. What do you think would work best.

darkgael

Lube

Lube?
What do you think would work best.

Imperial Sizing Die Wax. It's the top shelf choice in case lubes. Redding sells it.
One small tin will last you...oh...maybe.....a hundred years.
It goes far.
Pete

RCBS case lube & Franford Arnsenals spray lube did not work the best for me...( don't know how One Shot compares to the Frankford stuff, which I do like for "normal reloading ) at the recommendation of my retired tool & die buddy, I bought a new pad, & started it on STP oil treatment, & that is now what I use exclusively on the laquered 5.7 cases... I either wash or tumble the cases after sizing, to clean up the STP, but my sticky case issues litterally went away after I started using STP... prior to loading 5.7, the spry type lubes were my favorite for other cartridges, & still what I use most of the time ( except fo 5.7 )