Reloading the .45 ACP

Big Yac

I've been reloading .45 for years now and my supply of Bullseye is running out. I've been looking around and Bullseye is getting hard to find. My question is, what powder can you guys recommend to replace it? I'm using 200 - 230gr jacketed bullets, Winchester brass and Winchester primers. I don't load hot, I've found that my best accuracy is between the middle of the road and the upper end...a warm load I guess. I've heard good things about Power Pistol, Unique, and some of the Ramshot powders like Silhouette. Any opinions? Thanks.

ljnowell

When it comes to jacketed bullets at upper end velocity Power Pistol is truly a great powder in 45acp. I keep a few pounds on hand for just that very task. The only thing I use it for is JACKETED 45acp and LSWC-HP in 38 special.

Also, AA#2 or AA#5 would work, with #5 getting better velocity numbers with the same recoil.

gspman

My kimber has shot great with 200swc and red dot.It has consistantly shot smaller groups for me than bullseye or 231/hp38.actually ive been very disapointed with hp38/231 powders in the loads ive tried .very dirty only ok accurracy.Give red dot a try.The only thing that it is a little course grained but i load on a single stage press and measure my charges so that doesnt bother meGSPMAN

j357

No experience with your specified powders but suggest you try something different if you have the powder on hand for something else, or want to try a new powder for small pistol rounds, as it is great for .38 and 9mm.

5.0 to 5.5g of Clays Universal for a 230g FMJ bullet at 1.20 OAL. My work has shown around 5.2-5.4 to be a good load.

I use all of the Ramshot handgun powders. I don't include Competition because it's actually a very fast burning shotgun powder that has some application in .45 ACP light loads. My favorite of the group, loading light to mid level 200 gr. SWCs and RNFPs and JHPs of 185 and 230 grs. is ZIP. If you check the SIERRA manual and look at data for their 200 gr. Tournament Master jacketed target bullet, you'll see that ZIP gave them the best accuracy of all powders tested. It's burn rate is somewhat similar to W231/HP38, but it offers a bit better performance and burns cleaner. And it's spherical and meters very well.

If you want something that will really push a JHP, I'd pass on Power Pistol because of its muzzle flash and check out the data for Silhouette. Their max. load with a 185 gr. XTP has a rated velocity of 1152 FPS from a 5" barrel and it's still a STANDARD pressure load @ under 21,000 PSI/19,900 CUP. Silhouette also has a flash inhibitor and is a very low flash powder. It's best application is probably the high pressure auto cartridges, but it actually does very well in .45 ACP. I load 7.5 grs. of it with the ZERO 230 gr. JHP, but I have a load I did this past Wednesday with 6.2 grs. of ZIP that I'm gonna compare it to. I've shot the top end 185 gr. load with Silhouette but used a Rem. Golden Saber in place of the XTP. I haven't had a chance to chronograph it yet but recoil was pretty manageable in my XDm 4.5 .45 ACP. ZIP is just so flexible and you can load with light charges for very good accuracy with cast lead bullets. I've had a number of 5 round one hole groups @ 50' from a rest with ZIP. Maybe not impressive for a Bullseye competitor, but I'm pretty tickled when I can do it. ZIP is also a great powder for .38 Special target loads. Here's the link to the website & data: www.ramshot.com ;)

g.willikers

Everyone has a different opinion and has gotten different results, it seems.
For me, the Hodgdon line of powders have proven the best.
They excel in metering through my two powder drops, cleanliness, and even accuracy, due probably the consistent metering.
And it doesn't seem to matter much if it's Titegroup, Clays or HP38/231.
The HP38/231 gives me the best results, by a very small margin.
It does seem to be dirtier, but it's a soft dirt and just wipes off.
Which ever one is available.

iShoot17

I personally have used 231 in my 45ACPs. I am loading it behind 230gr bullets and have had no issues at all. I plan to continue using it until I can't find any more!

On that note, I may give Unique a try.. But I don't need powder at the moment!

droptrd

I also like Bulleye for 45acp but i get good results with Power Pistol too. PP is all i use for 40. I shoot 40 alot so i always have PP on hand. I also like a medium load with bullseye but with PP the accuracy is better with hot loads under a 230gr. 200gr jacketed bullets work fine with medium loads

Big Yac

I had totally forgotten about being able to use Red Dot in 45 loads, I have a ton of the stuff since I use it in my 12ga target loads. I'll have to load some up with Red Dot. I also found a few pounds of Bullseye which I picked up, along with some Ramshot Zip and Silhouette, both of which seem to be very plentiful around here. If I like these powders better I may be a convert. Thanks again for all the comments :D