Reloading the 45-70 for a tube magazine

Bill Daniel

What dies do y'all use for reloading 45-70 Government for a tubular magazine on a single stage press? Profile crimp, Roll crimp, Taper crimp, Expander die, Full length sizing? Straight wall rifle cases are new to me.
Thanks,
Bill

I use a Lee factory crimp die & choose a bullet with a canalure... I reload hot 45-70 in my guide gun... ( I have several 45-70 guns, so I don't necesarily do that on all my 45-70 loads, only those for my guide gun )...

totaldla

Definitely the Lee FCD. And make sure you check the rounds in the tube for setback (fire one, check 3, fire another, check 2, etc.). Do a drop test.

schmellba99

FL resize and I use the Lee FCD. My dies are all Hornady, with a finishing step through the FCD die.

My Marlin 1895 loads use a Remington 300 grain JHP with a cannelure. I don't load them all that hot compared to some folks, but they are hot enough that you most definitely know you pulled the trigger and sent something large downrange.

In all reality, loading for a straight wall rifle is no different than reloading for a pistol - just more powder and bigger projectiles with a .45-70.