Reloading the .260

blob

:) I am getting ready to work up a load for my Ruger .260. In the past I have wasted a lot of money mostly from trying the wrong bullets and powder. I have been able to get farily good results but realize I have wasted a lot of time and money. I have good reloading equipment and take it serious and slow. But before trying to start on the 260, which is capable of being an accruate rifle, I would like to get some good info from those that have already wotked up a good load. I plan on using a 120 grain bullet, proably the Sierra Pro-hunter, and will be hunting white tails. I will be shooting 100-300 yards. Although I grew up hunting and have reloaded for some time, I decided to ask about the 260 before starting. I will be using Remington cases and am looking at IMR-4320 or W-760 powder. I believe this rifle has a 1/9 twist and thought the 120 should be a good bullet for it. :)

Leftoverdj

You are about right on the bullet, 120-130 grains is right for deer in the 6.5s. The 140 and heavier bullets are fearsome penetrators, but may not expand in a chest shot on the average deer.

Looks to me like your powder choices are a bit fast. I shoot a 6.5 Roberts and a 6.5x55 and use powders in the 4350, 4831 class. My cases are only a hair bigger than yours and our charges would be within 2-3 grains of each other