reloading Steel surplus cases

Poygan

I've reloaded .45 acp steel cases. In my poorer and youthful days, I've even reloaded WWII steel cases with a Lyman 310 tool. Now that's dedication!

I have stopped the practice.

locked'n'cocked

i have been wondering the same thing for a while, myself. maybe pick up a bunch of wolf ammo cheap and be able to still reload the cases?

dodgestdshift

I was reloading Wolf ammo, until I got a couple with small flash holes. They pulled the depriming pin out of the die, and tied up the case in the shell holder which I couldn't remove. I had to use a screwdriver to pry out the case. I dumped the cases after that.

CaptainRazor

I've done it...mostly for the novelty of it. :) Also, I needed a little bit of ammo to use in places where case recovery was going to be next to impossible.

The problems I found are, (as mentioned) small flash holes that will let the decapping pin punch out the old primer, but grab it on the downstroke of the press ram. Then it pulls the decapping pin out of the die.

Also, if you're not really careful, you'll end up with a Berdan primed case (a make other than Wolf) and break or damage the decapping pin.
They are hard to resize, ugly as hell, and in general, not very well made.
The primer holes are sometimes oversized, the cases get bend up really easy and don't resize/expand correctly, the case lengths are all over the place, a steel case will all but destroy a trimmer cutter, the list goes on.

If you can afford to buy Wolf ammo to shoot for the cases, you can afford to buy some decent brass to reload. I don't recommend reloading steel/bi-metal cases, it's really not worth it.

I too, have long since stopped the practice. I found it was a whole lot easier to lose some brass cases, rather than to fight with the steel ones for reloading.
As always, your mileage may vary.

G56

I would imagine the steel cases are a bit hard on the resizing dies also! :rolleyes:

When I'm shooting my AR where I can't pick up the brass, that's when the Wolf comes out!

cheygriz

Many years ago, when I was young and poor, I was given a case of 1,000 rounds of .45 ACP ammunition. This ammo was steel cases. I reloaded each case 5 times.

It worked, and I had the opportunity to shoot, but boy was it a PITA!!!!!!

Since then, I've made it a point to never be that poor again! :p

Everybody prolly oughta try it once just for the heck of it, though. But you prolly oughta start out loading 10 rounds. That oughta be enought to cure ya! :D

gschwertley

Steel Cases

I have successfully reloaded Hungarian 1943 dated 8x56R rifle cases, but only of necessity due to rarity at the time.