reloading scales.

Wildshot

I sold all my reloading equipment about 15 years ago. I am just now getting back into reloading. I bought all new equipment, and located 500 38 special shells I had stored away. I have a Lee turret press and was double checking everything before getting started. I was checking the powder drop at 4.6 grains of Bullseye for target loads with 125 grain bullet. The drop is consistent at 4.55. I am OK with that. What I don't like is the Lee scale. It is accurate but way to sensitive to the human hand or even a minor table bump. Very hard to operate. I would like a scale that is accurate and not as sensitive to the hand. Maybe, electronic. Any suggestions?

dmazur

Whether scales use a pressure transducer (electronic) or a balance beam, they are going to be sensitive to

1. vibration on the table
2. air movement in the room, such as heating registers
3. touching the pan

The balance beam types can be damped, usually with a copper vane moving through a magnet, and this reduces settling time, but they are still slow. For adjusting a powder measure to throw a desired charge, I find them fast enough. If I was going to weigh every charge and do batch loading, I'd throw light and use a trickler. (Trickler doesn't touch pan.)

The electronic types can be influenced by fluorescent lights, proximity to a computer monitor (especially the old CRT types), and fluctuations in the power supply. So, it is difficult to find an accurate and reliable electronic scale that doesn't have a frightening price. Inexpensive electronic scales might be useful for "sorting" cases or bullets by weight, where you can tolerate a 0.2gr error and are mostly interested in speed.

The RCBS 505 and 1010 scales are just the same as they were 15 years ago, high quality and bombproof.

I've found that electronic scales have initial appeal, but the "shine" quickly wears off as you discover their weaknesses.

Last edited:

mumbo719

Had the Lee Safety scale, nothing safe about it. The Lee scale dosen't even make a good paper weight since a pencil is almost heavier than that piece of junk. Local ranges wouldn't let me use it for target practice so it went sailing in my garage.

Now that my rant is over I purchased the Dillon Eliminator scale and couldn't be happier with it. It's the RCBS 505 with a different base and is blue rather than green. The Eliminator is made by the same company that makes the 505, has the same warranty and is cheaper.

hounddawg

I keep 2 scales on my bench. A RCBS 502 balance beam which I use to check the RCBS 750 electronic. I still trust the manual more than the electronic, but the electronic is more convenient and the 750 gives me a option of 110v or battery. I do load workups at the range so the choice of power is a nice bonus for me at least.

I am using a Brian Enos digital scale. It uses 3 AAA batteries and measures to 0.1 grains. Dropping 4 loads into the pan when checking the powder drop will give me a closer estimate of accuracy. An example is first drop is 4.5 and the second is 9 the 4th should be 18. If it is not I will adjust until it comes out that way. Running on batteries reduces power fluctuations. It is quick to set the scale for the pan weight by pressing zero after placing it on the scale so you only measure the powder.

You do need to keep the scale away from florescent lights (3 feet) and other electronic devices. You can place a bit of cardboard around the scale to reduce air movement caused by forced air heating/cooling.

This scale does everything I need it to do and the price is less the many others.

http://www.brianenos.com/store/be.scale_be.html

m&p45acp10+1

I have the Lee scale, and a digital. I use the Lee every now and then to assure my digital is still on. The Lee scale works if you use it properly, though it can be a chore to do so. Even at eye level I have trouble seeing the lines.

Note the first upgrade in my reloading equipment was a new scale.

frank_1947

I can't even read a lee scale I have RCBS digital and the RCBS Charge Master Combo the new Hornady is just as good for less my buddy has one.

sserdlihc

Had a Lee but replaced it with an RCBS Partner scale. The RCBS scale I got is made by PACT. They have great customer service.

hk33ka1

I have a lot of Lee equipment but much prefer the RCBS (Ohaus) 5-0-5 balance beam scale. I also use an older RCBS electric model. The Lee safety scale would be the first thing I would recommend to replace with the Lee kits that otherwise have nice gear.

mehavey

If you can find/afford either (or both) of these, get them:

20rv23q.jpg

The RCBS ChargeMaster is obvious, and the greatest thing since sliced bread
The Texan has been w/ me for 43 years -- probably an E-Bay item easiest.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Texan-Powder-Scale-/200666449988#ht_500wt_1104

HoneyBadger

Smart Reloader Digital

For those of you on a restricted budget and those who find balance beam scale too challenging try a Smart Reloader Digital or an MTM Micro Digital for around $40. Both are spot-on and easily calibrated if they are not.

noylj

Electronic vs Beam

dmazur: I bought my first electronic scale back around the end of the '70s--the Ainsworth. I still have it and it still works. I had an RCBS electronic and it broke during a move--I don't blame the balance for impact damage.
Currently I have a ChargeMaster and the Lyman 1000XL(?).
The ChargeMaster is used almost all the time and the Lyman is used for at the bench when I am not using the CM.
I have never had any problems with fluorescent lights, sodium vapor lights, or even from power supply (going through the brown-outs in CA, it either worked or didn't--I can't blame it for not working on 50VAC).
I happily got rid of my beam ASAP and never looked back. I suspect that too many people have underpaid for a balance and got just what they paid for.

Don P

What I don't like is the Lee scale. It is accurate but way to sensitive to the human hand or even a minor table bump. Very hard to operate. I would like a scale that is accurate and not as sensitive to the hand.

The table bump is normal for any beam scale. If operating this scale is too hard to use how are you reloading and how are you using a vernier caliper, micrometer?:confused:

Had the Lee Safety scale, nothing safe about it. The Lee scale dosen't even make a good paper weight since a pencil is almost heavier than that piece of junk. Local ranges wouldn't let me use it for target practice so it went sailing in my garage.

Hum, junk, a poor paper weight, NOT SAFE? Whats NOT SAFE about the scale?:confused:
I know this is all a lie. Maybe (you couldn't figure out how to work it possibly)

I can't even read a lee scale

If you can't read a Lee scale how are you reading a vernier caliper or micrometer or any other scale? Using digital perhaps:confused:

The Lee safety scale would be the first thing I would recommend to replace with the Lee kits that otherwise have nice gear.

Nothing wrong with the scale. It works fine for me.

For those of you on a restricted budget and those who find balance beam scale too challenging

If folks are finding a balance beam challenging how are they NOT finding reloading too challenging?:confused:

All this is just Lee bashing by folks who think if they did not buy the most expensive scale/reloading equipment the market has to offer then all else is junk.
Lee makes quality equipment at a reasonable price. Of all the folks that I know who are reloading using Lee equipment, no one is complaining about any of there equipment.

Spell check works wonders if used.

wncchester

Like Don P, I have a Lee Safety Scale and find it very sensitive and accurate. Like other's, I find it so light that it's a PITA to use but that sure doesn't mean it can't do exactly what it's made for and do it at a very nominal price.

A digital scale sure displays a number quickly, and sometimes the number is right - I think. Given the quirky nature and lack of dependability of all things electronic - especially cheap stuff like all reloading scales are - I much prefer a beam scale for my powder work. Any beam, they are all quite good and totally reliable unless we damage them ourselves: nothing's any good if we damage 'em! How valuable a digital dumpster may be depends entirely on how clumsy we are with a beam.

I find my three beam scales (excepting the Lee) to be fully as "fast" to use as my friend's Chargemaster and I KNOW exactly what my powder charges are because I don't depend on a gimmick to do my work.