Reloading records

I am looking for suggestions regarding how to keep track of my reloading recipes. For a good many years I only loaded .45 ACP (230-grain) and 9mm (115 grain). That was easy to keep track of.

I'm now branching out into different loads within those two "calibers," as well as other handgun calibers. And I expect to dip my toe into bottleneck rifle fairly soon. I need a better way to keep this information sorted out. At the moment, I have a single-page worksheet in Excel. It has the data, but it's going to be a nuisance to sort as I add more loads and more calibers/cartridges.

One possibility would be separate worksheets for each chambering within the overall "Reloading Data" workbook. But I'm also considering trying to convert it into an Access or Libre Office Base database.

How do you more experienced reloaders keep track of your load data?

hikingman

3 ring binder w/ 6 batches on each side of a page. Printed on both sides saves paper and shelf space. Electronic records will not last forever, or you need a machine/ device to view them.

Last edited:

NorthernBlue

I use simple Excel workbook. It has multiple spreadsheets (the tabs on the bottom). Basically each sheet has a bullet with various loads in various powders.

I don't have alot of firearms so it doesn't get too crazy but if I was loading for many different firearms I would probably make a workbook for each firearm and use each sheet for each specific bullet.

I keep the file synced to a NAS (you can use a cloud based service like Google Drive) which allows me to access it from my computer or cellphone.

ocharry

I have a day type planner I got from staples...has a zipper type cover and a 6 ring style loose leaf note book inside....I got some page tabs...label... Each firearm gets a couple pages..more if needed.....once a load is worked up...it gets a spot on what ever page is appropriate... Along with notes for each....

I have pistols...rifles...and some shotgun stuff....

My little black book is about 6x9" approximately... Been doing this for years....my info is always there when..if I need it

Dont need electric or poorer....just unzip it flip to what gun I need info for and put it together

As I get older seems to work better than ever

That's how I do it...simple...works

Ocharry

Rimfire5

I also use Excel and I keep data for all of my rifles.
It would be impossible to do the analysis I do without it.
Paper gives you a good record, but you can't easily do anything with the data without a lot of data entry. If you try to see what works best thumbing through the pages, you can easily miss data that matters.

For each load for each rifle, I store data on powder, charge, velocity, primer,,brass, seating depth, trim length, exit time, and temperature sorted by weight and bullet and measurements for each group shot.
I scan each target and measure the groups using On Target then record the group sizes on the worksheets.

I calculate average, median and standard deviation for each load and for all combinations that I want to compare.
If I change scopes or change stocks with the rifle, I record that too.

I try to shoot at least 4 groups with each load, and add measured groups if I add groups to a particular load. (Some good loads have more than 30 groups recorded.)

I also sort the data for each powder bullet combination (regardless of trim, seating depth or charge) so I can see what combinations work best.
I also do analysis of what jump works best for each bullet and what exit time and velocity works best for a bullet and powder-bullet combination.

Using that kind of analysis, I have determined what powder, primer and velocity works best with individual bullets, what jump provides the best accuracy, and even whether a change in scope or stock gets the better results.

I also keep track of the 10 best and 25 best loads and the averages of the 10 and 25 loads, as well as the overall averages for bullet weights and for all groups shot.

Excel makes it easy to compare and calculate just about anything once the basic data is gathered.
I even have a summary worksheet that links to each rifle's data so I don't have to search for it.

rclark

I just use LibreOFfice Calc. The only data necessary to 'log' (for me anyway) for each load is:

powder, bullet, printer, avg, SD, ES, shots fired, barrel length, Comment

example:

.45 Colt
8.5g 20/28, 250g RNFP, CCI-300, 1016, 10, 34, 15, 5 1/2”, Accurate load, like

I have a separate spreadsheet (scratch pad) where I calculate the AVG, SD, ES initially and just keyboard the findings into the final spreadsheet. Keeps the fiinal data nice and tidy. Works for me. I keep all on one sheet.

.45 Colt
data
.44 Mag
data
.44 Spec
data
etc...

kmw1954

I use a notebook folder with the 3 folding pins and then normal lined 3 hole paper. I was also able to get tabbed dividers that I use to separate my 380 loads, 9mm loads and 45acp loads.

Each page is one bullet and one powder, Brass used, primer, OAL, the number made and the date. Below that is room for any notes and on the backside I list the times that load is made

RaySendero

AB, I too use an excel spreadsheet for each firearm.
It has tabs for case size measurements, sight notes, loads and trajectory graph.

On the load tab 1st column reads:
Date
Temp.
Rifle
Barrel
Case
Fired
Primer
Bullet
COL
Crimp
Powder
Weight
Vel 1
Vel 2
Vel 3
Vel 4
Vel 5
Avg
SD
Coef
X Spread
Primer
Ring
Inc/gr

FrankenMauser

Labels on the box, and maybe a sheet of paper outlining the intended development procedure (if it's more complicated than just, "see how this shoots").

I have several binders and notebooks that have been used to start keeping load development records.
I say "start", because that usually stops about the time that I find two or three loads for a given cartridge (or rifle).
Picture half a book shelf of 3-ring binders and spiral-bound notebooks, with three to fifteen pages used in each one. ...And they never get looked at again, once they get placed on the shelf.

I tried going to a spreadsheet about 10 years ago. Once I entered all active established and developmental loads into it, I never used it again.

The only long-term log book that I do actually still use and consult on occasion is the notebook in which I record chronograph data. Since that does also contain load data, I guess it sort of counts. ...But I never go back for the load data, just the velocities. :rolleyes:

There is also a box that I toss old labels into, if I change loads for a particular lot of brass, move on from that load to something else, or just want to keep a record of what did NOT work. I very, very rarely dig through that box for something. And when I do, it's usually for something that did not work - to make sure I'm not making the same mistake twice - rather than looking for an old, successful load.

Another aspect of my "organization through disorganization" approach:
I always write down what I'm loading on a sticky note, and keep that right in front of me, on the bench, while reloading.
Once done, I transcribe the information to the reloading label that goes on the ammo box.
If it's an established load, I toss the note when I'm done. If it's a new load, I put that sticky note aside or in the box. After the ammo has been tested, I can use the sticky note to add notes about performance and/or how to move forward ... and then either stick it back in the box with the brass (clean, or awaiting cleaning), or toss it in the box of old labels, to never be seen again.

Basically...
It's all in my head, or on the boxes ... with some notes as reminders, just in case some time passes before I get back to it.
(I still have .270 Win loads from 2000 and 2008 that have not been tested. :eek:)

308Loader

+1 for the open office spread sheet. Make sure you back it up to something (separate drive, flash drive, memory card, DVD, cloud...). I also keep the 3x5 notecards that I did initial load testing with. they get tossed in a old floppy disk box for hand written data storage. lost about 4 years of data once and was able to make a new spread sheet off the cards. back up your spread sheet/work book regularly and save to at least 2 separate sources.

my 2 cents.

LeverGunFan

I've used digital files for reloading data, but have gone back to paper data logs. I currently use the Lyman Reloading Data Log, organized by cartridge in a three ring binder. I fill out a entry for each reloading session, and it's easy to review earlier reloading sessions. MTM has a more detailed product, and Gun Guides has a spiral bound book that can be used for each cartridge that is reloaded.

RC20

I am a notebook kind of guy

In my case I shoot 3 rifles for target then some odds and ends.

I have a note book with 4 tabs. 30-06 in one, the less shot ones have their own page in the back, the main one has pages up front. If that one runs out, I have another one.

Electronic is hard to access and or you have to keep printing out the results. I can take the log with me and if I get a good results put an entry in it, case type, powder and charge, COAL, bullet, what brass used and primer, temp.

Crankylove

Label on the box.

If that load works well, and I reload that brass with that same load, I correct the date and leave the label on.

If the load isn’t something I want to do again, label goes in the trash.

If the load is a keeper, but I’m loading that brass with different data, I pull it off and put it into a drawer on my reloading bench where all the known good loads go.

I’ve found over the years, anything more complicated than that, and I usually don’t follow through with it regularly enough for it to really be a benefit.

rclark

I like my spreadsheet, because, as I've tested quite a few loads, I can reference it later when say I run out of a powder and need a load for another that I have on hand (no need to reinvent the wheel so to speak), or when asked about a certain powder and cartridge, I can go look and say this 'load' shot well for me. Once on the sheet, it's good forever (if you keep a backup or two that is!). I also print a hard copy to file in a cabinet....

Notebook and pencil is used to write down velocity data when chronographing at the range. Old fashion I suppose in this regard, but works for me.

wondering121

I write my load data into a notebook as I'm loading and take notes of the loading session like any issues I may have run into. Then I assign that group a lot number and label the ammo box with that lot number. I input the load data and notes into a Google sheets file on Google drive that is one worksheet with tabs based on caliber. Once I shoot the rounds I make any notes of the shooting session in my notebook and then add that to my Google sheet later.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

rodfac

I use an Excel worksheet for my guns...each has a separate file with load, sight settings, and gun data included. Lately I've been keeping a round count as well...getting a little anal some would say...but my old loading notes, with 50+years of data filled a 3" binder and were getting out of hand.

I back up frequently to a thumb drive to keep from losing it all, not that anyone would probably care...but the data accumulated has kept me from some errors and allows easy reference to long ago found good prescriptions. Here's a pic of one from a recent acquisition...a .41 Mag Ruger OM BH. Looks like it's a bit hard to read, but you get the idea, also looks like I mistakenly left the footer for my FT BH on the bottom when I started the new sheet...

as always, these are my loads, for my guns...work up if interested....

HTH's Rod

DukeConnor

I usually just write my preferred loads in my load data books. Cast stuff goes into the lyman book. Fmj goes in the hornady book.