reloading process ?

rebs

Can you guys see a difference between the rifle rounds you load on a single stage press measuring every powder charge or when you load on a Dillon or other progressive press ? Can you see any difference in accuracy ? I am primarily asking about 223 rounds but other rounds would probably be the same answer.
If you are loading H335 powder at 25.0 grains with a 55 grain bullet, how much variation in powder weight would it take to adversely effect accuracy?

g.willikers

There's a lot to making accurate rounds.
The difference between hand measured powder and progressive methods is probably the least of it, unless there's a large error or malfunction.
Case preparation could be far more important, for example.
The only way to actually know would be to use both methods of powder dispensing and compare.
My two powder measures, a Lee rotary, and a progressive mounted Dillon are very consistent.
The difference in results between the measures and doing it by hand seem insignificant as compared to other variables.

Last edited:

jmorris

Yes, it takes much longer to load on a SS weighing every charge. That is the biggest difference. Can be the difference between 100 rounds in a few minutes or 100 rounds in an hour.

If you pick a powder that meters well in a volume measure, And do the same brass prep/sorting and use comparable dies, the difference will mostly be in your head.

It depends as to how much variance in charge weight effects accuracy. I have seen ladder tests that didn't show much difference between say .5 gn charge weight, unless it's broken any measure can do that good with any powder.

MosinM39

I reload .223 on a single stage, but used to use my Dillon 550, both are good but I prefer the single stage for rifle.

The Dillon powder measure is excellent and will handle H335 very well. No need to check each charge with either method, H335 will measure out very accurately.

The biggest factors in accuracy, compared to say powder charge variation, will be the bullet you select, the load you work up, the rifle, and you the shooter (not necessarily in that order).

Bravo1

When I try a new powder or bullet weight, I do a hand measure of the powder and build 10 shots of each weight in increments of .5. When I find the weight I like, I use my Lee progressive press to mass produce. The Lee Auto-Drum is what I use in the press to dispense the powder and it's very accurate.

Steve in PA

I only weigh powder charges when using extruded powders. When using ball or spherical powders, they meter so well I found no need to weigh each charge.

JeepHammer

I have to go with the guys on this one...
It will depend on YOUR version of 'Match'.

Bench rifle matches, where you have to watch to see if the hole gets a little darker & fuzzier to tell if the guy is actually shooting the card or over the board?
Or something like a speed match, short range rapid fire,
Or 1,000 yard matches...

If you want upper end factory/range quality ammo from fired cases,
Particularly if its getting pumped through a semi auto,
Its more about case prep, consistant seating, ect than a half grain of powder.

Getting that case bent back into an acceptable form for the rifle should be the majority of your efforts.

To do that, you WILL need a 'Standard' to start from, then move +/- from that base line standard.
Without that, you will never make repeatable rounds...

Since you are loading for ONE rifle (if I'm reading this correctly),
Then its perfectly acceptable to modify dies or what ever else to get the rounds you want.
If you intend to use the same rounds in different rifles, then my mistake...

Modifying your reloading equipment to make rounds that fit your rifle specifically is actually pretty easy once you understand what to do.
Reducing the reliance on unpredictable crimping comes to mind right away...
Super simple to do and makes MUCH more consistant neck tension rounds over a 'Crimped' round...

Is that what you are looking for?

jmorris

Bench rifle matches, where you have to watch to see if the hole gets a little darker & fuzzier to tell if the guy is actually shooting the card or over the board?

The record group for 100 yds is/was .009", they use moving backers to count the number of shots.

View from behind the target.

11.JPG

Or you use a score target where there is only one shot per bull.

USBR248-14X.jpg