Reloading On The Go

randyc74

Like most folks who reload, I have my reloading setup on a dedicated bench. I do most of my reloading on a Dillon 550B and a RCBS Rock Chucker. Although everything works great, I wanted to put together a totally portable reloading setup centered around my LEE hand reloading press. Basically, I wanted a reloading setup that I can use at the range or anywhere else away from my reloading bench, even while traveling. Those, guys who think they have no room in their home’s to reload, can put together a similar portable reloading setup. A small single stage press mounted with c-clamps to a desk or kitchen table would also work and the user would still be able to keep everything in a container no bigger then range bag that I used.
I used the following components in assembling portable kit.

Lee Hand Press and Dies
Lee Hand Primer
Portable Digital Scale
Digital Calipers for checking OAL
RCBS Uniflow Powder Measure and funnel
Reloading Block
Powder Trickler
Safety Glasses
Plastic food storage bins for brass, bullets, and completed rounds
Dillon Range Bag for storage

Does anyone else have a similar portable reloading setup?

Here’s some photos of the setup

100_0256.jpg

100_0257.jpg

100_0258.jpg

100_0259.jpg

Scorch

A friend of mine used a plywood case for his Lee Turret Press and C-clamps to mount it. I carried my Pacific C-Press in an ammo can and mounted it to the truck tailgate with 2X4s. We used to take road trips and needed to reload while on the road.

flashhole

I drag my Lee Classic Turret to the range and I drilled mounting holes in one of the shooting benches. I afix it to the bench with bolts and wing nuts. The dies are preset in the turret and I can take as many turrets as I need. I pack everything in a Rubbermaid Tool Box. Usually I have a powder charge friendly to Lee Powder Dippers zeroed in and mostly play with seating depth. It always draws a crowd when I set it up and use it.

GP100man

I`ve carried a lee challenger (the small aluminum press) to the range to ladder loads for rifles .

The brass was prepped except for dropping powder & seating the bullet .

HiBC

Like GP 100,I'll take primed brass an my lee hand press to play with my chronograph,find where to quit,what has potential,etc.
I also find myself bulk decapping,even sizing 223,etc,at leisure away from the bench,like pitting cherries.
I get focussed and serious when the powder comes out.
If you are working outdoors,likely your scales will not tolerate any breeze.

Shoney

The biggest problem outdoors is the wind messing with you scales. I have an extra fancy delux way to use my powder scale in the field. I take an ordinary cardboard box that is any where near the dimensions of 12" long x 8"wide x 6" high (a little bigger is ok, but not too much bigger); cut a hole in the side so my hand can barely go through, as a tiight fitting arm restricts the air flow. I place a piece of plexi-glass over the top, and then I can see to work my scale, pan and trickler in a windless environment.

At the range, I C-clamp my Hornady Lock-N-Load Progressive right to the shooting bench and use it for load development.

A sawhorse with a 2 x12 top and 2 x 4 legs (reinforced at a wide angle) will also works as a sturdy field loading bench.

On my Perennial Pilgrimage for Prevaricating Palaver and Prodigious Pulverization of Pusillanimous Prairie Poodles, there is sometimes a distinct need for a field reloading process. When I have my Pickup shell in place, I install home built storage compartments on the sides of my pickup bed, which are separated with a reinforced , 3 piece folding sheet of a ¾" 4x8 plywood, which is used as a bed, with items stored in, on and under it. I clamp the Hornady Lock-N-Load Progressive right to the end of the plywood bed and load shells during the evening or at leisure times with the shell closed (as long as it is not too hot), so as to have a windless environment.

I have also used a B&D Workmate as a portable shooting/reloading bench with an adjustable shooting stand clamped into it.

BigJakeJ1s

I don't have a portable setup, but I started out using a Lee hand press and an otherwise portable setup.

I later switched to a Huntington Compac which I liked a lot better for all things except de-priming (it does not keep spent primers in the ram). It has more leverage, less spring, and a built in priming punch, and is smaller overall than the LHP. I added a small circular wood base just big enough to give it a base so it will stand up on its own if I need both hands for something else momentarily.

The Lee autoprime is lighter-weight than the other hand primers, but it is also more prone to damage in a range bag/box, particularly if there are several heavier items loose in there (PM, bins of bullets, hand press, etc.) I would recommend either disassembling the tray from the handle, or using a different hand primer. The RCBS universal has a single primer tray for both sizes (less room in the bag), and it easily separates from the handle for more secure and compact storage. It has a gate to close off the chute so you can even store primers in it when detached from the handle. It will hold > 200 LP primers easily.

Andy

randyc74

Hey Guys,
Thanks for your responces. I tried out my portable reloading setup at the kitchen table and loaded up 30 test rounds of .45acp ammo. I used Unique powder and loaded 10 rounds in three different powder weights. I hand held my RCBS Uniflow powder measure over my loading block to charge the cases.
I used both my RCBS scale and my portable digital scale to weigh the charges. there was a 1 to 2 tenth of a Gr. difference between the 2 scales. I tend to trust my RCBS beam scale more then the digital scale.

I also have a complete set of LEE powder dippers. The Lee dippers don't work well with Unique Powder. I'm using my portable setup for .45act right now, but plan to also load .9mm and .40 cal. I like using one powder for the 3 different callibers if possible.

Do you guys have any ideas on a good all around powder that will work well with these 3 calibers and be LEE dipper friendly? Thanks again,
Randy

Shoney

After testing around ten to twelve powders in the three cartridges, I settled on Hodgdon Universal. Although it is not the best powder with each round, it gave the best single powder for all three.

Universal also meters very well in all powder measures. It is not an extruded powder, nor is it a real ball powder. It will not hang up like flake powders and will not have the grains cut like extruded powders.

chris in va

I make my own dippers for whatever load I want to use in a particular caliber. Universal definitely works the best out of the few I've tried.

So far my Lee Hand Press has held together after countless 45's, 9mm and 30-06, but getting a tad sloppy in the linkages. Tried tightening the nuts up some but it just causes it to bind too much.