Reloading non-toxic/steel shotshells.

PoorRichRichard

I posted this in the reloading forum as well- hope I don't get in trouble for the double post- just trying to get as much info as possible.

Does anyone here reload steel shot, or any othe type of non-toxic shot? Do I need different types of componetes (for example wads) for loading various types of non-toxic shot? I plan on doing a lot of duck hunting next season. Paying about 10-12 dollars a box for 12gauge steel shotshells and I'd like to lower my cost if possible. Any and all help would be appreciated.

LSnSC

If you want to do it for the satifaction of hunting with shells youve loaded, go for it. You dont save enough money to justify the effort IMO. I buy Winchester eXpert #3's when they go on sale for $9.99 a box. I used to shoot nothing but Drylok or Fasteel, but the eXpert kills just as well for me.

BigJimP

No, I don't reload any steel or non-toxic shot ....

but in general, you will find loads in the published reloading manuals ...like Hodgdon...as an example...using 12ga 2 3/4" Rem STS hulls...where you can load 1 oz of steel, using Hodgdon Universal powder, Win 209 primers ( all of which is standard components - for a common hull ) but you will need a special was a BP-STS ...( balllistic products )..

and you'll need a special - stell shot bar -- on your loader / or a loader like a MEC Steelmaster...that is setup to handle steel and lead shot.