Reloading newbie needs help!

Riceman

Me and a friend just went and bought a RCBS reloading kit. We got it all set up. We have a reloading book. Now here come the tricky part. Being new to reloading we have no clue as to what type of powder, bullets, primers, ect.. to buy. What would you guys suggest? We will be reloading 9mm, .45 ACP, and .44 Mag. The 9mm and .45 will only be used for targets. The .44 will be used for targets and deer hunting. Any help would be aspirated

Riceman

Bobshouse

Read...Read...and Read some more. I might also recommend that you stick with one cartridge to get started and then branch out. Pick your most used round and start from there. The type of dies you purchased might influence that decision, unless you purchased all three sizes.

Personally, I would find which bullet weight I wanted to load and then find a powder that offered compatability. Before I picked the powder I would study up by reading anything I could find on powders, bullets, brass and primers by searching through the forums at this site and maybe searching under google.com

Others can make recommendations, but ultimately you must make the choice. Good luck in your quest.

JohnK

Bob has some good advice, read everything you can then read it again. I would also suggest getting at least one or two more reloading manuals. You'll find that in most cases they don't agree on loads for any given powder/caliber/bullet weight.

I would suggest starting your loading with the 45 ACP and 230gr LRN or FMJ bullets and 5.0-6.0gr of Unique. Unique has a moderate burn rate and is a good all around powder that can be used in your 9mm and 44 magnum/special loads.

I suggest starting with the 45 ACP because it's a fairly low pressure round with big components and is easy to load for. I would not recommend starting off with hot 44 magnum loads, when you're first starting out it's easy to make mistakes and a mistake with a heavy 44 load could have very tragic results. Yes a mistake when loading any caliber can be serious but in my opinion it's better to learn on a low pressure caliber than a high pressure.

Good luck in your loading, and don't hesitate to ask questions. Better to ask what you may think is a common or silly question than to be uninformed.