Reloading Nato 7.62?

TheTinMan

I'm negotiating the purchase of an M1A and the seller is offering "500 rnds 7.62 Nato 80's production German". Is it probable that this ammo has Berdan primers? Is it possible to identify them by looking at the cartridge?

The ammo is worth more to me if the cases can be reloaded later.

Thanks for your help.

Mark whiz

I'd say that the odds are quite high to certain that it is Berdan primed. It's still good ammo though - probably Hirtenberger.

There is really no way to tell from a loaded cartridge as to how it is primed - maybe if you ask the guy if he has shot any off it yet and maybe retained a spent case?

TheTinMan

Assuming Berdan primers, how much pain would be involved in case preparation? It sounds like each primer hole has to be drilled out and the primer pocket swagged (reamed?)

If I could find .308 brass, I wouldn't even think about this...

Sevens

It is SO much work, requires specialized tools and then, you'd need to find berdan primers to reprime them.

It really, truly is not worth attempting.

totalloser

It's possible to drill and punch the pocket with a press to make it smaller, but very impractical. The Berdan primers are larger diameter, so the Boxer primer won't be held in. I think about .005" but I can't remember for sure. www.perfectunion.com has a relatively informative thread on this process. But again, not practical at all.

I got military surplus (NATO) 7.62x51 brass and reprocessed it for loading .308. Reduced charge for thicker brass and swage the crimped primer pockets. I got mine from www.gibrass.com.

Dr. Strangelove

NATO 7.62 once fired boxer primed cases are going for 20¢ each here in Athens GA, if that helps any. Franklin's Sports has a big box on the counter.