Reloading for the HK P7?

Sixer

I have recently been reloading alot of 9mm 115gr FMJ for plinking at the range. One of the guns I shoot quite often is my HK P7... Is there anything out of the ordinary that I should consider when reloading for the P7? Just curious...

Sevens

I would love to have one of these, I just can't get myself to drop $6 or $7 hundred on a used police trade-in that I haven't actually seen!

I can't help much with tailoring a load to one other than to state the (perhaps) obvious: Stay away from lead bullets due to the gas assisted system the HK uses... lead would likely fragment and weld itself inside the ports much like folks see with an M1 Carbine and a Desert Eagle.

Cool pistol. I remember the first time I'd ever heard of one, it was in the gun rags from the 80s, not when they first came out, but when the hi-cap M13 first came out. Suffice to say, I did not fall in love with it at first look! But it's grown on me over the years.

freakshow10mm

I'm doing some workups now. The chamber is fluted so I don't know how that will effect pressure handling or brass life. Someone with more experience with the gun will hopefully chime in.

Joat

Reloading for the P7 is mostly the same as loading for any other 9 with a couple of small exceptions:
  • Use a "clean" powder. The P7 gas system collects crap faster than any other gun out there.
  • The fluted chamber of the P7 will reduce brass life. I typically get 3 loadings out of brass used in mine, as opposed to 5-7 reloadings from other guns.
  • FMJ bullets only. lead bullets tend to "shave" at the gas port, causing function issues. (I have a buddy that regularly shoots hard cast bullets from his P7 with out problems, when I try it, nothing but problems so YMMV)

My current load is: WSP primers, 4.2gr of WST, 115gr FMJ loaded on a Dillon 550b. Shoots ragged groups at 21 feet, easy recoil "push" and cleaner than the 231 loads I was using.

Joat

oneounceload

I reload for several 9mm's and they all get fed the same thing - my P7 will shoot whatever I feed my Glocks and vice versa. Since it is a polygonal barrel, like Glock, use plated or FMJ bullets, not lead. Remember to clean the gas system ALL THE WAY into the bottom of the chamber. Someone on one of many forums sells a scraper for that, or you can try a dental tool or similar.

Currently I am usnig the same powder for 9, 38, 20 gauge and 28 gauge - Universal Clays. I have also had good luck with Unique. I prefer 124 gr bullets, as do my guns, over the 115, and Win SP primers

freakshow10mm

Sevens, this is my Grade B trade in I got from CDNN for $599. 4 digit serial number. I think it's in very good condition for $599.

PA010025.jpg

PA010029.jpg

PA010032.jpg

PA010027.jpg

oneounceload

nice gun, Freakshow.......mine is similar - wife bought it for me as a surprise b'day gift......I managed to scrounge a total of four magazines for it as well - THAT, IMO, is the only down-side to the PSP......they sure look cool, feel awesome in mt hand, and shoot better than I can..........

Mine has fed every commercial and every reload I have fed it without any hiccups.......just like my Glocks......... :D

Sixer

Good info guys, thanks!

I managed to get in on the CDNN deal at the end of last year. My P7 came with the plum slide and looked like it had never fired a round! I couldn't believe how nice it was :) The price was a ridiculous $499 so I got a great deal and a gun that I'm not afraid to shoot & carry. It's a tack driver too :D