Reloading for the AK

Coach Z

I've just purchased my first AK and have been looking around online for some once fired brass to make some ammo for it. I've been surprised at the prices of once fired brass, does anyone have a good source for 7.62x39 brass?

Second question os has anyone had experience with GECO brand ammo, found a good deal online but not sure about the quality of the brass or if the bullets are steel or not. Any info is appreciated!

Handloader109

Cheapest brass is what you keep after shooting your purchased ammo:)

I wanted to reload for mine, but couldn't find any good brass. Gave up on it as 99% of Cass are steel.

chris in va

Good luck.

I tried doing it for my Saiga only to discover it chucked brass 20'. I highly recommend getting some sort of brass catcher. Another thing, don't bother hunting down .311 bullets, just get some .308's and have at it.

Wreck-n-Crew

I have found myself shooting a lot of wolf, tulla, and white box Russian milsurp for plinking in my SKS. Reason is the same as what has been mentioned many times.....it cost more/or as much to reload as it is to just buy milsurp and shoot it.

I'm like Gadawg88, if you want some good brass for more accurate reloads buy ammo and get/make a brass catcher like Chris suggested. Even a simple curtain to stop/knock it down.

I have not purchased 7.62x39 for a few years. Whats it cost now... $6??

I can reload for about $3 cause I am cheap.

Brass is harder to find but just buy it when you see it. I have a little over 1000 pieces collected.

My main concern was keeping my brass. My SKS is a brass slinging fool.
Until I found a workable brass catcher for both my SKS and AK's I primarily reloaded steel cases. That way I did not have to worry about combing the weeds for the cases.

Fun gun to reload for and allot of different things you can learn with it.

100_8821_zps4090f55a.jpg

Obviously Iam partial to casting boolits for cost reasons. But I am not opposed to reloading jacketed when I find a super deal on projectiles.

100_8840_zpscbb9e51d.jpg