Reloading for 35 Remington Pump (FTX) bullets

Farmland

I am just checking to make sure as I will be for the first time reloading for my 35 Remington Pump. Will the Hornady FTX (flex tip) bullet work in the magazine? It appears that it will but thought I would check to see if anyone has used them.

I haven't looked at any load data yet so I am assuming you can work up a load to work in the pump rifle. Right now I can't find any of the tradition round nose bullets in stock so I thought maybe the FTX is an option.

Drm50

35 Rem.

What model is your gun? I have m-14c, m-141 in 35 Rem. I have not used the
new Hornady flex tips. I use 200gr. RN, the reason is accuracy. If you rifle is
14 or 141 this will be true. I have tried the spire point bullets but they didn't
group well. I can see no reason why flex tip won't function in your gun. I had
Rem 760 /. 35 which is clip feed did't shoot it much. The purpose of flex tip
is to make in possible to fire"pointed" bullet out of tube magazine. This is not
a issue with any of the Rem pumps. The twisted mag tube of the 14 & 141
are to offset bullet tips and primers. The flex bullets are pricy and not needed
in your case.

Farmland,

The 200 grain FTX says it's made for 35 Remington, specifically, so I believe you are good to go. Call Hornady just to be sure about the pump. I know that in the .45-70 they have to use a shorter case than standard to get that caliber flex tip to fit in a lever gun.

Farmland

Thanks, I have loaded with this bullet for my 45-70 Marlin. There was a learning curve setting up the dies for the shorter case. I was hoping that the 35 does not use a shorter case.

That settles it. The SAAMI drawing shows 1.900-1.920 inches is the standard for 35 Remington, so Salmoneye has demonstrated there is no case difference in Hornady's own ammo for this bullet. Thus the the crimp groove is in the right place for standard 35 Remington cases.