Reloading for .257 Roberts

Deerhunt

Hi I'm a beginner reloader (or hope to be) I haven't gotten anything yet and was wondering what you think I should get. I am thinking about getting a 257 roberts and that would be the only reason I reload. Any suggestions?

30Cal

I'd start by getting a reloading manual. That'll lay out what needs to be done and will help you figure out what is essential and what isn't.

At a minimum, for bottle necked rifle ctgs, you'll need:
a manual
a press (single stage would be a good idea--ancient and used will work fine)
a set of dies (I'd go with a FL sizing die)
a shell holder (257 is the same as 30-06/308)
a powder scale
some way of dispensing powder, be it a powder measure or even scoops will work at first
case lube
a way of seating primers (built-in function on some presses)
6" caliper
a case trimmer

I'd buy new dies and caliper. Scale, powdermeasure and press I'd buy used if you're on a budget. eBay, craigslist, etc.

257 Roberts factory ammo isn't super hard to find; big chain stores might not have it, but I've seen it around in most dedicated gun stores. 6mm Rem brass is around. And sometimes 7x57mm. Both of those you can run through the 257 Roberts sizing die and make what you need.

Last edited:

ligonierbill

Components for the 'Bob' are readily available, brass and bullets. But I would not dive into reloading just to get one. You can find ammo. Reloading is addictive - beware!

Longshot4

A 257 Roberts is a good cartridge but there are others that are simpler to find components...for. A 243 Win. would be a fine start with low recoil or go up to a 308 Win. if you feel that a heavier round is needed. Stick with a bolt action for accuracy. Remington, Ruger, Winchester or Savage are all a good place to start. (30Cal) has covered most of the loading equipment although more than one Manual would be my first place to start before you start purchasing any thing else. Read the manuals through a couple times to give it a good chance to pick up the understanding you will want. For brass I suggest to start with all the same manufacturer. Stay away from what you might be able to pick up at the range at least for starters. For bullets there is no need to spend more than $20-25 for 100 pc. Don't be in a hurry when loading. Just take your time to start and the more you load the more relaxed you will get about it. Then all you will need is a solid bench with good lighting and before you know it you should be on your way to a life long hobby.

Last edited:

ShootistPRS

I would caution the use of 6mm Remington brass for making 257 Roberts cases. The 6mm Remington has a shorter shoulder length and a different shoulder angle. You will have to fire-form to your chamber to make it right. The quickest and easiest way to do that is to buy factory ammunition and shoot it in your gun. You won't hit anything firing a 6mm bullet from your 257 but the pressure will be high enough to form the brass properly.

Mike1

You didn't say why you are considering the 257 Bob. As noted by others, there are some other choices. I'd also suggest 7mm-08 Rem.

Nothing wrong with the 257, I've taken a few mule deer using 100gr Hornady SP.

Longshot4

If you insist on using 257 Roberts. Midway has brass by Remington in stock and I would suggest on stocking up with it.

TRX

The very first thing you should do is determine what the bore size of your rifle is.

The "correct" bullet size for a .257 Roberts is... .257". But there are a lot of 6.5 Arisakas out there that were reamed to ".257 Roberts". The Arisaka's bore is .264". There was enough confusion over the years that I'd slug any non-factory-stamped Roberts just to make sure.

Accuracy of a .257 bullet going down a .264 bore is reportedly not all that great...

If your rifle has a .264 barrel, all you need to do is order the correct expander plug from your die maker, and make sure you don't fire them through a .257 barrel.