Reloading Blanks

ronl

A year or so ago I was given around 400 .223 blanks. I fired off a few of them and tossed them into the recycle bin. With the scarcity of components these days, I decided to see about reloading them. I opened the crimp up just enough to allow the expander ball to open up the neck, then trimmed the case. After finishing my routine prep I weighed the cases and the weight was the same as other .223's, so I figured I'm okay to reload a few. Only difference is the cannalure around the casing just like the old LC Match brass used to have. I figure the brass will be good enough for reloading a couple of times. Only difference was a few more seconds in the trimmer. Anyone else ever tried reloading LC blanks?

Lost Sheep

I know nothing, but here are some thoughts

Here are some thoughts, at least until someone knowledgeable shows up.

Take a look at the primers' flash holes. If a single hole and about the same size as regular brass or if double holes (Berdan-primed, harder to reload). If the flash hole is over-large, it might not be a good idea for anything but wax bullets.

I have no idea if the brass is the same hardness/strength as regular brass. You might want to try loading one lightly with a fast powder (pistol powder or powder used for fire-forming) to see, then work up to regular rifle powders carefully.

Or put an ad up to trade for actual ammunition or brass you know is meant for reloading.

How experimental do you feel? Wear a full face shield when you shoot these. Powder blow-back leaves pock-marks in skin.

Lost Sheep

ljnowell

Im not an expert on military items, but I know someone who is. He told me never try to reload a blank with a standard load. It had to do with the metallurgy and composition of the case. They are not the same as a standard case.

jcwit

Im not an expert on military items, but I know someone who is. He told me never try to reload a blank with a standard load. It had to do with the metallurgy and composition of the case. They are not the same as a standard case.

Correct!

iraiam

+1

I had a lot of 30-06 blank cases, they were visibly thinner and lighter than a standard case. I wound up just recycling them.

I would guess that 5.56 blanks are similar, and not rated for pressures of an actual round.