Reloading Advise

kirpi97

I have looked back over several threads concerning reloading. But what I can't locate is a simple layout of what other reloaders use as the optimum loads for 12, 16, 20 gauge. For example:

Make of Powder used:
Wads:
Grams or Bushing size for Powder:
Ounce or Bushing size for shot:
Shot size:

I have been away from reloading shells for years. And there are a lot of experts out there who can steer me away from certain powders and give me insight into the best loads they have found.

If reloading shotguns is anything like black powder, each will have their own load. So help me out with your experience. Thanks.

zippy13

First, what are you going to load for?
The size of shot, weight of the shot charge and the desired velocity are determined by your intended use and will narrow your choices of reloading components.

olddrum1

Kirpi 97, just wondering what kind of reloader that you have. If you are planning on buying one or already have one. Alot of the target loads for clays now usally run from 7/8 to 1 1/8 of shot. Just how much punishment you want to take. Shot size runs 7 1/2 to 9s for clays. Hodgdon Powder company has alot of the market for powder. Heres a good website with a lot of data for reloads.
http://www.hodgdon.com/
As for powder and bushing choices, most of the major manufacturers have charts on their website for bushings. Also you local supplier will have booklets that will give powder bushing sizes for their powders. As with all reloading, these charts just get you into the ballpark. Scales a must.

I hope this helps some.

OD

kirpi97

Thanks. For now all I am looking to do is reload for target clays. I do the shooting with the Scouts and I have a Pacific DL-155 reloader for my 12 gauge. And I have the dies for my 20 gauge, I do not normally shoot the 20 ga, but the young Scouts seems to handle it better. So I am looking to reload 20 ga with the shot I have around 5-6 and 7-8.

I heard from some that you have to use different powder for 20 ga than what I use for 12 ga. If that is the case, what is it? So I am looking for what other use.

As for my 16 ga, I have a Lee's Load All for it. Nothing fancy, but since I do not shoot it all that often, I am not mass relaoder.

Hope this helps. I am checking out the web site.

oneounceload

5 and 6 is nice hunting shot, but is usually not allowed on clay target courses - best to stick with 7-1/2 or smaller.

There is a lot of information on the net from the various powder makers that should help you. Personally, I, along with others, are reluctant to state specific recipes due to whatever liability that might exist.

I can tell you that Clays powder, with 7/8 to 1 oz of small shot in the proper hull and with the proper wad will do nicely for your needs

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
A worthy purpose, here's my pet load, straight from Hogdon data.

Remington STS, Nitro or Gun Club Hull.

Win 209 Primer.

17.3 gr Clays powder.

WAA12SL wad or the Claybuster clone wad.

30lbs seating pressure.

7/8 oz of shot. I like 8.5 in the warmer months, 7.5 in winter or for rabbit targets.

You can use 1 oz of shot, but the lighter load doesn't know it's light.

Jeremiah/Az

For sporting clays,I reload Remington STS's & Gun Clubs with Win 209 primers,Windjammer(yellow)wads,17 grains of Clays powder,& 7/8 oz. of #8 lead shot in the 12 gauge. Mostly I shoot an over & under Browning in 28 gauge for clays.

Twoface1911

If you want to buy supplies online purchase from here - http://www.gamaliel.com/cart/home.php As for me im reloading 18 grains of powder. 1 1/8 ounce of 7 1/2 shot. Works great. The best hulls for loading are definitely the STS. Oh and for primers these work great and are EXTREMELY CHEAP look for Nobel primers.

zippy13

I'm an old school powder burner and like Green Dot for lower pressure 12-ga target loads. I also use it for 20 and 28-ga target loads. There is data for using it in 16-ga Fed hulls, but I have no experience loading 16s.

olddrum1

As per Z13, Green Dot is a good choice for one powder for both gauges, also Hodgdons International can be used to load either 12 or 20.

BigJimP

My optimum load in 12ga - uses Hodgdon Clays powder - and there are a variety of published loads available in 7/8 oz or 1 oz ...

12ga
Remington STS Hulls

Wad: Winchester WAA12SL in 7/8 oz or 1 oz ( I use a Green Duster wad equivalent to WAA12SL ).

Primer: Win 209

( in 7/8 oz of shot - load 17.1 grains for 1200 fps )
( in 1 oz of shot - load 17.0 grains for 1150 fps or 18.4gr for 1235 fps ).

a 7/8 oz load in a 12ga is equivalent to a 20ga load - so you may be able to get by with only one shell - and 7/8 oz is a good training load ( less recoil ).

You can't mix hulls, primers, etc in shotshells - you have to pick a hull first, then a primer, then a powder, then a wad ....

Honestly, for training scouts - I would only use factory loads / not my reloads - because of the liability issues ... Maybe the troop could buy the shells / or you might find a benefactor to donate some shells / you provide some guns and the training ...

Bailey Boat

I'm an old school powder burner and like Green Dot for lower pressure 12-ga target loads. I also use it for 20 and 28-ga target loads. There is data for using it in 16-ga Fed hulls, but I have no experience loading 16s.

Word of caution, if you're shooting GD through a tube set STOP!!!! Pressures are much higher than almost any other powder. When I began reloading (40+ years ago) I wanted one powder for ALL gauges and finally found GD loads for all but the .410. I recently noticed that my 28ga hulls were beginning to split the brass more than usual. Upon inspection I had split chambers in the tubes!!! :eek:

Briley took care of me and replaced both tubes at NO COST but also asked what load I was shooting. They gave me a replacement load (same velocity) using Unique that had much lower (by 2500 psi) pressures. I loaded some and can't see any difference in my scores. I've since relagated the GD to certain pistol loads......