Reloading 7mm-08?

P-990

Okay, I've been debating for a while what caliber to get my #2 Encore barrel in. Since I traded a Rem Mountain Rifle in .260 off to get the Encore in the first place, it kind of makes sense for me to put on something to replace that "lost" capability. And not wanting to spend the $$ and wait for a custom barrel, I think I am going to go with the 7mm-08.

A couple of quick questions though.

1) How does this cartridge respond to reloading inputs? My .260 was fairly tractable and easy to load for, and I'm assuming any other .308-based case should be as well.

2) What is a reasonable bullet-weight limit? I mean, I AM only going to be using this rifle as a whitetail rifle, so I don't need anything larger than a 140gr 7mm. But what kind of upper-ceiling exists with the cartridge? Especially with factory-twist barrels (which tend to be less-than-optimum for heavier bullets in the smaller calibers IMO).

3) Who makes the best brass? Remington or Winchester? I'm willing to use either and have no problem with either brand. With the .260 I was stuck using Remington brass (unless I wanted to resize Winchester .243). (Actually, I have a batch of 20 Win .243s I could use on this "project".)

4) Finally, what kind of powder and bullet would you all reccommend? I have W760, H4350, H4895, Varget and W748 all on hand currently. (WOW!!) My experience with the .260 drove me to use either Nosler or Sierra bullets for best accuracy. Should I be looking at Ballistic Tips, ProHunters, or ???

Thanks for answering my long-winded questions all. Next step: Post-Christmas get-what-I-really-wanted shopping!!! :eek:

HiBC

loading 7-08

I only built one 7-08 and sold it,but from general reloading experience:

Response to inputs;7-08 case to bore ratio is conservative.It is not like a 50 BMG necked down to .17.If you pick powders of an appropriate burn rate,nothing sudden should happen.It is friendly.
Between Rem and Win brass,doesnt matter much.I use Win for minor reasons like some case head rim dimensions and case mouth conditions I have observed on bulk brass but it is not fair to Rem to give that much weight.
I don't know your rifle,but twist is probably 1in 9 or so.Its likely magazine length/cartridge oal will limit bullet weight before twist.I lean toward heavier,higher BC,SD bullets for penetration,velocity retention.Preference.150-160gr are probably fine.
Reloader 19 and Reloader 15 are worthy of consideration.
If you can load to a good length,a 150 ballistic tip will give good BC and will always open up in a heart lung shot at 7-08 velocities.For a little more cost Accu-bonds are tougher for penetration.Just my opinion.

Bama

My son has one , a browning A-bolt, and gets excellent cloverleaf or smaller groups @ 100 yards using 42 grains of Varget with a 140 grain Gamekings, and Federal GM210M primers. He likes Winchester brass.:D

roadwarrior

I've had a Rem M700 in 7mm-08 for a few years now and am quite satisfied with it. Its a perfect high performance/low recoil round for hunting whitetail deer.

Of the two bullet brands that I have reloaded for it, 140 grain-Sierra and 139 grain-Hornady, both were accurate and have taken several deer. Powders used were, RE-15, Varget, H380, 760, and 4064. Varget was the best with RE-15 & H380 tied for second.

jsflagstad

I like the 120 grain Barnes X-bullet pushed by a heaping helping of Vihtavuori N150. Works wonders on whitetail and at the range (mine will shoot one ragged hole at 100 yards with this combo). I have heard of guys taking Moose with the 140 grain in this bullet.

No real preference on brass.

I never had real good result resizing cases from different calibers (243 or 308).

JSF

Last edited:

zeisloft

My little Rem 700 does wonders with 140 gn SGK and 139 gn Hornady ints. I usually push with either H380 or IMR 3031. I have several rifles chambered in comparable calibers but the 7-08 gets most of the use on game. At the range it will run .75-1 MOA groups fairly consistently with bullets seated long. However, I have a limitation you will not have to worry about with a TC, magazine length. The hunting load I use is hindered by the box length but still averages 1-1.25 MOA out to 250 (my self imposed limit fir this rifle/ scope combo).
~z

castnblast

1+ on the 139 hornady. Great Bullet. I load it in my 7mm rem mag. Does not blow up. Very consistant in weight. That is the bullet for the 7mm-08.

P-990

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm starting to sway over the to parent .308 cartridge instead now, because factory ammo is much, much easier to find. Not a problem right now, with reloading gear close to hand, but after graduation it could be an issue until I get settled somewhere. And of course, I wouldn't want to bother dad with a special order... "Hey dad, can you have a couple boxes of 139gr 7mm-08 with 45gr of H4350 and a CCI-200 loaded when I come down to visit next weekend..." ;)

paknheat

I just made some 7-08 loads for a freind . I used 140gn Sierra BTSP, 42.0 gns of Varget, Winchester brass, and Winchester Lg Rifle primer. This load in his rifle , sighted in @130 yds will consistantly cut the X out of his target. Even better is that he put a nice 8 pointer in the freezer using this load i made for him. The distance of the shot was 175 yds, and it hit point of aim. I guess the proof is in the pudding, or backstraps.