Reloading 32 acp . . .

Prof Young

I'm thinking about getting a Beretta Tomcat 32 acp. Not like I need another caliber to load for but it's call a hobby for a reason.

Anyway, I already load 380 and I have loaded 25 cal. If I go to load 32 acp might there be any surprises or things to look out for?

Life is good.
Prof Young

Paul B.

Well if you've reloaded .25ACP and .3cp, I don't see where you might have a problem. maybe squishing a finger what working with that tiny brass. Been there and done that.

Scorch

A few decades ago, while trying to impress a young lady, I reloaded 32 ACP. It wasn't worth the effort, either for the ammo or the girl. Small powder charges, small case, powder funnel and Lee scoops will make it an interesting endeavour, but if I want any more interesting endeavours at my age I will try chasing quail.

Schlitz 45

32’s aren’t any different. Just be careful your Tomcat loads don’t exceed the 130ft/lbf recommended by Beretta in the owners manual. I reload for the five 32’s I have & my old Tomcat’s never had any issues & remains uncracked.

rc

32s are just like any of the larger calibers except for the bullet you put on top. I would not want to load a 25! I do love 32 H&R.

Mike38

I reload for .32acp and .32 S&W long. Nothing different than other pistol calibers other than tiny cases.

ligonierbill

Loads just like any other bottom feeder. Of course, you're loading small charges. I use Power Pistol, same as my other autoloaders. No surprises or special technique.

I reloaded 32 acp quite a few years ago. Had a colt 1903 at the time. I bought it for personal security. I was actually surprised a little with the 71 gr 32's penetration into pages of wet phone books. (FMJ) As I recall in comparison with light re-loaded 38 special stub for best target accuracy (RN lead.) The 32 had a bit more penetration and was a whole lot easier to conceal. As to which I think is more useful now? .380 vs 32 acp. Having today's specialized ammo? .380 rules the walk.

hammie

@prof young: I also re-load for .25 ACP and like you, I've been considering getting a tomcat. As Paul B, in post #2, said, if you have the skill to re-load .25 ACP, then there should be no surprises with a .32 ACP. The one big problem might be finding the empty ejected cases.

I'm not sure what the recoil of a tomcat might be like. The .25 ACP that I re-load for is a beretta 21 and the recoil is snappy. Given the tomcat's frame cracking potential, the new .30 super carry looks intriguing. Although, I suspect the recoil of the .30 super carry is also noticeable.

gwpercle

If you successfuly load 25 auto and 380 auto then 32 acp will be a walk in the park .
They are all semi-auto rounds and there is nothing special to look out for .
I reloaded 32 acp for years for a Walther PPK ... honestly the 9mm Luger gave me much more trouble ... the 32 acp was easy as pie !

Have Fun,
Gary

FITASC

I reload for .32acp and .32 S&W long. Nothing different than other pistol calibers other than tiny cases.

Same here; damn 32ACP brass is hard to find in an area with grass; best to set out a tarp or blanket to catch as many as you can

Mk VII

.32 Auto is one of those calibers where, as the books say, "considerable variations in groove diameter may be encountered".
Some projectiles you get will be .308s, some (notably MagTec) are around .311.