Reloading 30/30 and need to find 150 gr HP slugs

Deaf Smith

Would like to reload ammo for my Marlin Texan 30/30 and where can I find Winchester 150 gr Hollow Point slugs to reload?

They sell the ammo, but I don't see the slugs anywhere for sale?

Thanks,

Deaf

PA-Joe

You can use any 308 bullet however in tube mags best to use flatpoints Hornady 3060 170 gr FP or the Hornady Flex Tip 30395 160 gr.

Pointed or narrow HP may bounce around and make the primer go bang.

jwrowland77

The Hornady flex tip are pretty good. I load mine using 170gr Partitions. Devastating

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CTSixshot

Don't see too many offerings for .30-30 hollow points.
Flat points in 150g and 170g are frequently available, but I'm not sure if any major bullet company has HPs that would be suitable in .30-30; Speer has the lighter Varminter, of course.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/33...er-110-grain-jacketed-hollow-point-box-of-100
http://www.nereloading.com/index.ph...al-fusion-150-grain-soft-point-100-count.html
http://www.xtremebullets.com/308-s/48051.htm
There's also the coated gas-checked bullets in 150g and 180g.

I get these from a fella in NM.

T. O'Heir

According to Winchester's site, they don't sell 150 grain HP's as components. Sierra makes a 150 grain Flat Point. An HP won't make much, if any, difference anyway.
Real crying shame is that Winchester discontinued the old Silvertip. That was an SP with an Al cap. They did some truly astounding things.

Sarge

I looked all over for your bullets Deaf Smith, couldn't find them anywhere. I loaded 30-30 for ages and seems like I may have seen a batch of WW 150 JHP's 5-6 years ago, but none since. Apparently WInchester is pretty stingy with that bullet and reserves production for loaded ammunition.

I watched one of my then 14 year old sons hit a deer with that load at maybe 20 yards. It was a rushed shot and he just got into the meat, behind and under the front elbow. No matter, deer was down in two steps.

shootbrownelk

Like PA-Joe said, use Hornady flex-tip bullets. I use them in my .32 special and they really outperform the old flat-tip bullets. They're all I use.

GeauxTide

Like PA-Joe said, use Hornady flex-tip bullets. I use them in my .32 special and they really outperform the old flat-tip bullets. They're all I use.
Yep, good bullets. 30-30 construction precludes need of HP. They are plenty devastating already.

SARuger

You can load a true .308 HP if you want to make the lever 30-30 a "2 shot" rifle, which really is all you need in most cases. One in the tube/one in the chamber.

Or find you a nice old Savage 340 30-30 bolt gun and have some fun, they are very accurate and inexpensive!

CTSixshot

To be honest Deaf Smith, those .30-30 rounds aren't anything I can use, not having a .30-30.
I no longer have a working chronograph, so I don't know what velocities I've been running other coated GC bullets at.
There is plenty of load data for many GC cast bullets at velocities over 2200 fps (generally < 2350 fps for .30-30), so I'd say run them and see what results you get.
Most of my shooting is with reduced loads. Many bullets that I cast (Lyman 266469) are run w/o GCs or are plain-base bullets (like the Lyman 311410). 6 to 12 grains of pistol powder never gives me much grief. Makes for easy-shooting, economical plinking fodder.

jwrowland77

CTSixshot,

Can the gas-checked hard cast lead bullets be shot at regular velocities? Like 2200 fps?

Deaf

If you want to attempt that velocity with cast bullets, consider powder coating along with gas checking. That would help a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk