Reloading 223 with h335 what primer

fishbones182

Im curious as to what loadings your finding that work good and mostly which primers do you prefer? The small rifle or small magnum rifle primer for this load?

You didn't mention bolt or AR configuration, if AR use CCI Mil spec primers which are a magnum. If your using a bolt rifle I would start with the CCI small rifle standard, if not happy I would try the CCI small rifle mag. This way all bases are covered. William

Last edited:

fishbones182

Im loading for my ruger m77 mark 2 target rifle. I was using standard small rifle and 26 grains of w748. I want to try to shrink my groups and through my reading h335 seems to be a better powder for that.

Fishbone182 both powders you mentioned are a double base powder which is a bit harder to ignite, if I were you I would at least try a small rifle mag if for nothing else to rule them out.. William

oryx

CCI makes a specific semi auto primer for AR style rifles... CCI 41. Has a harder cup for preventing slam fires with floating firing pin. Regardless the OP states he is using a bolt gun. Try a match primer and experiment with some standard primers to see what gives you the best results. Also check your brass to make sure primer pockets are cut uniformly and there are no burs on the inside of the case to interfere with ignition.

fishbones182

Ok so based on the suggestions i will just have to try standard and mag primers to see what works best for me and my gun. Im shooting right now with the the w748 and srp 1 inch groups at 100 yards out the ruger target rifle. I would like to shrink that hopefully the h335 will help with that. By no means am i displeased with the grouping i get now just would like to see if i can do better.

Steve in PA

CCI SR primers. Many thousands of rounds reloaded and shot using those primers in my AR. Same primers for my bolt .223 rifle.