Reloading 101

Peachy

I am interested in learning to reload. I would be reloading handgun ammo
(.380, 9mm, .38/.357). I live in a small apartment in Atlanta for now, so I'm really not interested in casting my own bullets.

Please provide me with some get started info. I like working w/ my hands, so I do really do not want some fancy reloading gizmo. Cost effective=good, even if it takes more time.

Dumb it down for me, please.

Other websites or links would be helpful as well.

Thanks in advance,

Peachy.

salvadore

Peachy, I'm betting a lot of folks will recommend a single stage press, a scale and a powder hopper for a beginner reloader, and it works. My advice would be to buy a Dillon Square Deal B, a progressive press designed to load pistol cartridges only. If that press would have been available when I started reloading it would have saved hours...weeks...months....years in front of a single stage press. Oh yeah, you'll still need a scale. A single stage will work out for you if you are like shooting up 50 rds a week. It would take me every night after work to reload the 500rds I fired up during the weekend. Am I babbling?

DiscoRacing

I like the lee turret press myself... you can get a disc for each caliber..then it only takes a second to change loading from one caliber to another because you can leave your dies in each disc.

gregjc9

First, get the ABCs of Reloading, and read, read, read, before you buy any reloading gear. Read all the reloading forums you can find, expecially here.

I started out with the Lee Classic Turret, and it was great to learn on. I cant image starting out on a single stage, I think I would have given up on reloading if I had. I bought the LCT as a kit from Cabela's, included everything but dies, 4 hole turrets, and the components. I reloaded 380acp, 9mm, and 45acp on it.

DMF38

Yep, the Lee Classic Cast Turret Press Kit from Cabela's is a super good deal. It has most of what you need to get started. This is the press I use and I presently reload .38 Special, .45 Colt, .30-.30, .45-70 and soon I'll be doing 7.62 x 25mm Tokarev. You can do anything with this press once you get the dies. In addition to this kit you'll need the dies, (and make sure to get the Lee Factory Crimp dies too), primer pocket cleaner, chamfer and deburr tool, tumble cleaner, caliper, case cutter and lockstud.

I also live in a small apartment and I cast my own bullets and balls for muzzle-loading. I do it with a Lee Pro 4-20 pot on my kitchen counter, and it works great! Doesn't cost much. Blood lead level problems come from shooting at indoor ranges and breathing in the primer fumes. You don't have to worry about casting indoors -- I don't always open the windows either. I've had my blood checked for lead twice in the last few years, and my doctor said I have no problem at all. I have the same low level of lead in my blood that a healthy little kid would have.

jmortimer

Lee Precision Classic Turret - it is no wonder Lee Presision is # 1 - Get Lyman's Reloading manual and "Modern Reloading" by Richard Lee. Go to Midway USA and Cabelas and check out owner reviews/ratings for the equipment you are considering. You will quickly see what a fantastic value the Classic Turret is. All the brands are good and will work. If you are on a budget then your only option would be Lee Precision. Otherwise the other brands are great as well.

BigJimP

Before you decide on a press - think long term - in terms of what you need for volume / and your budget / and how long it will take you to load a box of 50 rds on each machine.

I like Dillon equipment ...and they have 3 machines ....a SDB , a 550 and the 650 which is a very high end machine. All 3 of their machines are well made / but everybody making presses these days makes pretty good equipment - Hornady, RCBS, Dillon, etc .....but they're all a little different.

Talk to some of the guys at your local range / get some input on what they're using for equipment and what they like or don't like / maybe they'll let you see their setup so you get a better idea on how to do this.