Reloader 19 Recipes for 180 gr Accubond in 300 Win Mag

Tawaliga

Anyone out there use this combo in a 26 inch barrel?

I have been running 71 gr for a 165, but am making the jump up to a 180. The Nosler manual only gives recommendations for RL17 and RL22 in 180gr. The RL19 recipe on Alliant website calls for 75 gr with a 180 gr Speer, but I'm not sure how the measurements of the Speer compare to the Nosler AB in terms of how much space is left in the case for powder.

Anyone have any recipes?

std7mag

True, but.....
Are the bullet shape and dimensions the same?
Are the alloys of the jacket the same?

Alliant's data is max powder charge with velocities listed being a 24" barrel.
I'd use Alliants max, and drop 3 grains and do a ladder test.

Also, since your obviously handloading your COAL may be different.

T. O'Heir

The RL19 180 grain data on Alliant's website calls for a 76 grains MAX load. You must work up to that from the Start load(76 minus 10%) and do not just pick a load and hope.
Velocities are out of a 24" barrel with no twist given. That probably was a test barrel.
It doesn't matter what Speer or No$ler did. All manuals give averages of data collected, using the exact components and environmental conditions on the day of the test only. You're already using a slightly longer barrel so the velocities will be different anyway.
"...Are the bullet shape and dimensions the same?...Are the alloys of the jacket the same?..." None of that matters. You load for the bullet weight. Not the shape or jacket material. And a ladder test proves nothing about a particular load.

std7mag

Once again, you have proved that you can open a book, and quote from it's pages.
But it's important to understand what your reading.

You really don't want to drop below 85% case fill on the larger volume cases.
It creates weird pressure spikes.

And quit doing the BS driveby blanket statements!
If you reload, then i challenge you to grab a bunch of different bullets of the same weight.
Load with same powder/charge weight, to same COAL. And shoot them using a pressure trace. Then get back to us on your findings.

Here's a clue. Alliant themselves give different powder charges for different bullets of the same weight.

old roper

Tawaliga, I loaded 180gr AB in 26" Lilja barrel 300 mag. I load some rifles using Nosler bullets and data.

I would do as T O'Heir and drop back to 69gr/70gr/R-19 to start. I would chrono that start load as you my get increase over data velocity with that longer barrel.

Nosler used to use R-19 with 180gr and their using that same Lilja barrel back in the late 90 manuals or maybe they replaced it.

std7mag

Wow, first i've seen someone agreeing with T.O.!

Your reference to the older Nosler manual is correct. They do indeed start at 69.0gr of RL19 for their 180gr bullets.
But their max is 73gr. (So much for 10%).

Which still ends up 3.0gr lower than Alliant's listed max, but with almost 100 fps more velocity.

Something doesn't smell right in the apple barrel.

Mr. O'Heir isn't wrong 100% of the time, and I've agreed with him on some things, but he seems to include something inaccurate in about half his posts. His claim that nothing matters to a load but a bullet's weight is one I've got on his case about before and provided him with a link to Allan Jones's 2011 article demonstrating the differences Mr. O'Heir says don't matter can actually change pressure 30%. But it just doesn't seem to take.

Regarding minimum loads, the Hodgdon data seems careful to include a minimum that isn't automatically 10% down, where that's not appropriate. Just stick with the published minimum in those instances.

old roper

std7mag, If you look at the different between some of the same loads in old manual vs you see they made few adjustment. The new manual they drop max load to 75gr/R-22 vs old at 75.5gr/R-22 for a loss of 28fps. The keep same 77gr/IMR7828 old manual vs 77gr/IMR-7828ssc and increase of 52fps. IMR-4350 load is same both manuals even to velocity.

I use Nosler data to load other bullets and I drop to their start load. I don't do % but I'll do fps.