Reloadable .22lr - someone needs to invent...

Skans

It seems to me that someone could easily make a .22lr cartridge that can be reloaded or assembled. How about threaded brass tubes and screw-in primers. Or simple press-in primers. I can't believe this hasn't been invented yet!

Skans

That's an interesting product, but I was hoping for something a little easier. However, I'm glad something like that is out there - If .22 continues to be priced where it is currently, this could be a good option!

UncleEd

Easy as pie.

Whip up a batch of mercury fulminate.

Swab it into the rims of the used .22 casings.

Put in powder and top with bullet.

I understand the Russians did this during WWII
when the shortages were extreme and their
champion marksmen were employed with target
rifles.

In silhouette shooting at a Georgia club, we used
.22 lr (factory) with good results out to 100 yards.
So a .22 can be employed at "long ranges."

44 AMP

Staff
If you're looking for a reloadable round that will run through a .22RF gun(particularly an auto) good luck.

You can, however, duplicate .22LR performance with tailored handloads in the .22 Hornet.

You can probably do it with larger cases, but filler may be needed.

kozak6

Priming compound is SCARY. It's a touch sensitive explosive. Reloading .22 lr isn't even a cool way to lose fingers or eyes.

Match heads and cap gun caps are also EXTREMELY corrosive.

If you are absolutely desperate, you could probably buy a reloading kit and get ok results as long as you are extremely careful with the priming compound.

Remington74

I think the 22 Hornet idea would be the better way to go. Buy a pound of powder, stock up on 22 bullets and small primers when they are on sale. Buy a large number of Hornet cases from Midway or one of the other on-line dealers and an in-expensive reloading kit.

I believe you would get better accuracy and have less time/labor involved in the process.

But, some people just enjoy the challenge, I just enjoy the shooting. (And reloading)

dakota.potts

Would there be a market for a small, centerfire cartridge with similar performance to a .22lr that could be reloaded? I thought I remembered reading that one user here reloads .32-20 for something like 7 cents a round. I doubt it would be popular with the mainstream market, but I wonder if this is something the reloading crowd would be interested in.

motard

i read they overcome problem of touch sensitive priming problem placing the inert component at one time and activating it with a liquid compound in a seconf time. but still with 5 euro a 50 box is'nt worth the hassle. i read about 22 shortage in Us, what whas the origin?

Thats why i reload and shoot a whole bunch of 32L's I can do it for about what a box of 22's cost.
For rifle I shoot a Savage Sporter in 32-20

Or for fun I take out my Stevens favorite in 32L Rim Fire.

100_9676_zps386dc964.jpg

100_9678_zps2300ed4c.jpg

l98ster

Well, here is an idea that would probably work. buy .22lr blanks at home depot and .22 caliber pellets for pellet rifles. Load a blank round into the rifle, and push the pellet down the barrel like a muzzle loader. I certainly would not recommend this, but science may agree that this could work?

-George

BumbleBug

As others have suggested get a .22 Hornet. Reload with a pellet using primer only. Variations on this plan is to make a small expander die for the pellets. Pellets measure .222" in diameter but they can be bumped up to .224 for better fit in the case/gun. For more "OOMPH" solder a handle onto a fired large primer with anvil removed & then using a fast pistol powder try 1 or 2 scoops.

I've never done this with the Hornet but I've had good results in a .22-250.

It's all fun...

...bug :)

Shimpy

"Whip up a batch of mercury fulminate.

Swab it into the rims of the used .22 casings.

Put in powder and top with bullet."...........It would be my luck that the firing pin would hit on the old indent which held no fuminate of mercury due to pinching off of rim.........not reliable.

l98ster said:
Well, here is an idea that would probably work. buy .22lr blanks at home depot and .22 caliber pellets for pellet rifles. Load a blank round into the rifle, and push the pellet down the barrel like a muzzle loader. I certainly would not recommend this, but science may agree that this could work?
It's been done. There are videos on Youtube of at least two different people doing this. I'd like to take it a step farther and find a way to open up the crimped tips of the blanks and seat a bullet in them -- essentially buying pre-primed (and preloaded) rimfire brass.

Sevens

.22LR continues to exist today in (nearly) it's original form BECAUSE it is a rimfire... and a rimfire is a rimfire because it is low in cost to produce.

If .22LR were reloadable... it couldn't be rimfire. And if it wasn't rimfire (and thus... low in cost) it wouldn't be so darn popular.

The entire subject here is some kind of circular reasoning. It's not all too far off to cry to the world that someone needs to produce and market some dehydrated water. You know, so we could have it when we need it, but so that it doesn't take up so much space.