Reload 30-06 with 30-30 bullet?

JD0x0

They're the same diameter, it's safe to load, assuming you use a safe amount of powder and load the cartridge correctly. It should be no different than loading any other .308 bullet in a .30-06

mikld

I've been going the other way; using 30-06 bullets in my 30-30. But, I have an idea of the velocities the bullets are designed for, and I don't expect the same performance at the target. 30-30 bullets are designed for a specific velocity and if pushed faster will not have acceptable effects on game (expand too fast, "blow up" on game). Since I'm not hunting with my 30-30, terminal performance isn't a big deal, I'm just shooting paper. I have some loads with pulled M2, military surplus FMJ bullets that is looking promising, accuracy wise. For 30-30 bullets in a 30-06, they'll work for target shooting, and fun, but if not held to 30-30 velocities, they'll not be a good hunting round.

dahermit

Some 30-30 bullets are flat-nose. Some are round-nose. Although round nose bullets have fallen from favor in these later years, they were very efficient and as suggested by at least one of the loading manuals (Hornady I think), round-nose bullets perform better on game.
I would have no qualms about using a round-nose 150 grain 30-30 bullet in a 30-06. The only advantage the pointy bullets have, is when used at long distances.

Lemmon

Target or Game?

Depends on what you are shooting. A 30-30 bullet is not built for the velocity that a bullet desingned for 30-06. When hitting game it may "explode" rather than expand on the target. If shooting targets then you should not have a problem.....

Lemmon from Rural Fairfield County SC

Tom Matiska

Used them in my 308 Win and the ratio of edible meat to purple jelly is bad for closer shots. Keep MV 2500ish or so if shots within 100 yards are a consideration. Flat points loose 300+ by then.

if you want to push them, understand that loads otherwise ok for that weight bullet can get warm if you seat to the cannelure. It is for 30-30 use and leaves a lot more bullet below the waterline. Stop well below max or experiment with seating depth vs the freebore of your rifle.

GunDude123

I plan on buying bullets in bulk and I would like to shoot my 30-30 but occasionally shoot my 30-06. It's a buy one for both type of situations, so I chose the 30-30 bullet because you can't load pointed in a tubular magazine.

dahermit

A 30-30 bullet is not built for the velocity that a bullet desingned for 30-06. When hitting game it may "explode" rather than expand on the target.
I have a Hornady Bullet chart hanging on my wall. I noticed they list both a .308, 150 grain spire point interlock bullet and a .308 150 grain round nose interlock bullet (30-30). Do you have something from Hornady or from someone who measured the jacket thickness, that states that the jackets are of different thickness, the cores are of a different lead alloy, or the bullets are different other than just shape,please share that with us.

Last edited:

Paul B.

"I plan on buying bullets in bulk and I would like to shoot my 30-30 but occasionally shoot my 30-06. It's a buy one for both type of situations, so I chose the 30-30 bullet because you can't load pointed in a tubular magazine."

Sure you can but your rifle will be a two shot firearm. One in the magazine and and one up the spout.

On another note, many years ago I did most of my deer hunting up in the northwest corner of california at a lace called the Rockport Redwood Logging Company. Duno if they're even still in existance or if they even allow hunting anymore as this was back in the late 1950' early 1960's. Conditions were such that if you shot a deer and it went much more than 25 to 30 yards, you lost it. The dripping water from the tree branches and extremely thick brush went a long way toward allowinf deer to escape. The load I used back then was the 170 gr. Speer 30-30 bullet loaded up to an estimated 2500 FPS and the thing was try for a shoulder. Lost some meat that way but the deer was usually bang/flop/DRT. THose that did run at all usually went less that 20 to 2 yards. Friends and I loaded that bullet in the .300 Sav., .308 Win. and 30-06 to that level of power and it worked quite well AKAIK, our group never lost a deer using those loads.
Paul B.

Mike / Tx

Well I can say with all honesty that the 30-30 bullet loaded to around 2300fps tops is a great little load for both of them.

I have used the Remington 150's in my .308, a couple of my O3A3's and my 14" Contender chambered in 30-30 AI. I simply loaded them all using H-4895 since it works so well with reduced loads and it quite accurate to boot.

Not long ago I was given one of my relatives Remington 81 in 300 Savage, I also plan on using them in that rifle as well. Just have to nail down some affordable brass for it.

Boomer58cal

I load 150g RN in 30-06 for grandpa's old 95 win "30-03". Works great on deer.

Boomer

Edit... I thought I'd reinforce what others said. I load down to about 2600 fps. . Its like a 30-30 on steroids.

Last edited:
The difference between a bullet used for 06 application verses 30-30. 30-30 bullets expand at lower speeds as they have less thicker jackets. For years and years I've loaded 170 gr. 30-30 flat points onto my 300 Savage shells. And I run my 300 loadings up near or at Max listings. Quite the hole they make upon exiting a deer's rib section. Have done the same for my 30-06. Again with good results. Tip: Its a trick many old timers would do years ago. {30-30 jacketed bullets use on more powerful cartridges case's.} But keep in mind too much speed may again contribute to jacket separation in some 30 calibers. {300 Win Mag and similar may see that situation develop (jacket separation)}

TimSr

I agree with the posters mentioning that 30-30 bullets loaded to '06 velocities make a mess when hunting, but if you are shooting tin cans and paper targets, you can have a ball without worry.

I will mention though that is is much easier to find cheap 147gr FMJBT bullets in bulk for handloading than it is to find cheap flat nose bullets for 30-30, and if it is money savings you are looking for, you might want both. As mentioned by another, you can single load pointed bullets in your 30-30, just can't load them end to end in the tubular magazine.

dahermit

The difference between a bullet used for 06 application verses 30-30. 30-30 bullets expand at lower speeds as they have less thicker jackets.
Can I quote you on that? Just out of curiosity, where did you find that information? I want to be sure, so that I do not pass that fact on, only to find out later that it was just an incorrect assumption like when everyone took the statement, "Big bullets are deflected less than smaller ones when shooting through brush...", as gospel.

Last edited:

steve4102

Paul B. said:
Sure you can but your rifle will be a two shot firearm. One in the magazine and and one up the spout.

Why would you say this?

I have loaded the Hornady 150gr 30-30 RN in my 30-06 BAR, 30-06 Rem 700 and Ruger Mini-30, magazines fill up nicely just like any other bullet. Feeding was smooth and flawless just like any other bullet.

dahermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul B.

Why would you say this?
He was referring to using pointed bullets in a tubular magazine, like a 94 Winchester...pointed bullets resting on the primer ahead of it...

buck460XVR

Originally posted by dahermit:

I have a Hornady Bullet chart hanging on my wall. I noticed they list both a .308, 150 grain spire point interlock bullet and a .308 150 grain round nose interlock bullet (30-30). Do you have something from Hornady or from someone who measured the jacket thickness, that states that the jackets are of different thickness, the cores are of a different lead alloy, or the bullets are different other than just shape,please share that with us.

In the Hornady manual it states it makes three bullets designed specifically for 30-30 velocities. This would tell me that the bullets are designed for optimal terminal performance at those velocities and not just that they have a round nose an a cannelure.

dahermit

Let us do a little test. The photo is of a Hornady 150 grain spire-point interlock bullet. It was clearly not intended for a 30-30. I cut it in half, removed the core, hammered it flat and measured the Jacket. As the caliper indicates, the jacket thickness is .020 inch. I do not have a Hornady, round nose 150 grain interlock, but am sure someone here does. If someone will cut one and do the same as I did, we will know for sure if the jackets are the same on both.
Anyone willing to play? I dislike assumptions.
001_zps8a2c6da1.jpg

steve4102

dahermit said:
He was referring to using pointed bullets in a tubular magazine, like a 94 Winchester...pointed bullets resting on the primer ahead of it...

Ah, I see that now, thanks. Maybe I should learn to read better.