Release trigger Q...

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
Okay I got to thinkin about them release trigger guns...
So... say you decide not to shoot the gun after you pull the trigger? It drops the hammer upon release so is there a mechanism you activate so you can opt out of the shot?
Was gonna PM BJP about this but decided others may have wondered this too...
Brent

olddrum1

You keep the trigger pulled back and open the shotgun and extract the shell. At this time its safe to release the trigger. I do not have one but thats how I believe they function. I shoot with friends that do.

BigJimP

I don't shoot any release trigger guns Brent - but it would be pretty easy, to keep the gun pointed downrange and the trigger pulled back and still release the lever and open the gun - and remove the shell if you want - and then release the trigger so it does not fire.

Most of the release triggers I've seen are on single barrel - break open Trap guns like a Browning BT-99 or the BT-100.

Its only my opinion, but I think most flinches are the result of eye or vision issues - blurry vision, lack of focus on target, etc vs bad triggers - but in either case, I know some Trap shooters that swear by release triggers and wouldn't order a gun any other way ..../maybe a shooter with bad arthritis or something where pulling a trigger smoothly is a problem ...

I've never seen a release trigger on a semi-auto or a pump gun .... although they may make them. But it would be pretty easy to hold the trigger / then open the bolt and remove a shell - while still holding the release trigger ... Keep the gun pointed downrange and trigger pulled - operate the pump with your off hand / or open a semi-auto bolt with the off hand ....but that would make me really nervous if I were the shooter standing next to that shooter on a "Trap Line" ...

Does that help ?

Last edited:

oneounceload

The only folks I know who shot release triggers were older gents who had developed flinches from shooting bazillion of hard-hitting heavy trap loads for eons. I've seen singles. O/U, and a pump or two so designated with the R on the pistol grip.
As mentioned, open the action - personally, I am NOT a fan of them. Have seem way too many blasted trap house from folks with release triggers.

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
I would never consider one of these either... Just curious about that as I know they had to have a way to opt out of the shot.
Thanks...
Brent

Seen lots of guys shoot them at the trap range.
Shot one once.
Was not impressed.
If I had one for trap I would probably just discharge it down range.

BigJimP

I'm not sure you would be allowed to discharge a round during a "registered Trap shoot" ....

To make it more bizarre .... I think I read someplace where you could order an O/U or have it retrofit where 1st barrel is a "release trigger" and 2nd barrel is a "pull trigger". I think you could still select which barrel to fire first .....so that would be a " herding cats " scenario .... .... do I pull it / or not now ----... before I call ...

I'd have to look at a rule book - to see if an accidental discharge, as you shoulder a gun ....is a lost bird or not, if you've made no call of pull ... Its not a gun malfunction / its a shooter error ....so I'm not sure .

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
The whole idea of a release trigger just breaks so many of the safe gun handling habits I was taught to embrace:rolleyes:
Brent

mwar410

it always takes some time to shoot/or even pull, on a squad with a release trigger. they make me flinch just being around them.
If you shoot enough you'll see some weird stuff.