Reinforced Plug for Colt Officer's Model 1911

epic4444

Hello, i have a NIB Colt Officer, just picked it up from the original owner, its stainless steel and is a great piece, ive done my research and have found out that there main problem is the barrel bushing and plug failure. Im looking for a company that currently sells Reinforced plugs for the Officer so i can ensure that my pistol will always work. Websites and company would be great and any other suggestion would be nice. Thank You

epic4444

thanks for the reply ill look into those, also anyone who has a officer with a upgraded plug a picture would be great to, thanks

michael t

I belive this isn't the problem its made out to be on the internet. I think lot more officers out their with out the problem than with it, I have 2 officers I shoot them and carry now and then I have never experience a problem My gunsmith tells me he has never saw on thats broken
Most of these conversions require some slide work to fit That means I am then stuck with brand X if their a problem later on.

drail

The factory setup is no where near as durable or reliable as a reverse plug. I have seen enough factory plugs go downrange and replaced them with a reverse plug setup and never had a problem. Yes the slide has to be relieved slightly to accept the reverse plug. It does not weaken the slide in any way completely eliminates the problem with the factory plug. Just because you've never seen one come apart does not prove there is not a problem.

RickB

Para Ordnance makes a complete retrofit recoil spring/guide rod/plug set-up that converts the OACP (or Para P12) to the "dual telescoping" system that's currently used in just about every 3" 1911 on the market. A company did make a replacement plug that did not require machining of the slide, but it did reduce the slide travel slightly, as there was a thin collar around the end of the spring tunnel, in addition to the standard lug that's used to index and retain the stock plug.

drail

I would go with the dlsports setup as linked to above. Those are good prices. If you are going to rely on a 3 in. 1911 for defense you need to get rid of the factory parts. They will fail at some point. Also follow Dave's recommendations on spring replacement to keep that sucker from battering itself to death. Good luck.

epic4444

anyone here have a Wilson Combat installed? or any guide rod system installed in there Colt Officer, i'd love to see some pictures and if they did it themselves or had a smith do it. THanks

Wildalaska

I've seen it happen.

Ed Bown makes nice parts, none of the major makers will steer you wrong

WildnotalotoforiginalofficersaroundAlaska TM

Magyar

I belive this isn't the problem its made out to be on the internet. I think lot more officers out their with out the problem than with it, I have 2 officers I shoot them and carry now and then I have never experience a problem My gunsmith tells me he has never saw on thats broken
+1 A solution to a none existent problem....I bought extra parts years ago due to the internet chatter and still in the parts drawer. I don't know any competitive shooter that uses an OCM .45 where just perhaps it might cause a raised eyebrow. For the rest of us who shoot regularly and CC, this thing about the barrel bushing and especially about the short slide-travel causing reliability issues is really getting old to the point of being ludicrous.

Magyar

Let me put it another way. If one should say that it's been documented that a mishap has occurred with a particular part on this or any model handgun; duly noted. But everytime this particular subject comes up, it's like an International Recall should be in affect and that every owner should make the necessary changes...As if Colt puts out POS handguns....So, I've seen pistols malfunction-parts fail on Sigs, Glocks, CZ's and yes Colts; but I don't get paranoia about it and announce that you should seek this aftermarket part or another. These things need to be placed in perspective. Each owner of the OCM must judge his own pistol, shooting regimen, and decide if mod's are necessary.
P.S. Don't leave home w/o it: heading to Phoenix today....:)
OCM002.jpg

Last edited: