Regular Primers vs. Bench Rest Primers?

Qtiphky

What is the real difference between these two. I haven't been able to find small rifle primers for months, but I did find some bench rest small rifle primers. Will this change anything in my .233 or .204 loads? Do I need to start over with my development?

I am loading for semi autos in .223 and bolt action in the .204.

kraigwy

You have to try some of each and see. My Match AR likes benchrest match primers. My Ruger #1 in 204 dosnt. It likes standard CCI Small Rifle Primers.

My 223 Bolt gun isnt near as picky but does shoot the match primers a bit better, but not enough to make a differance.

Slamfire

One gentleman who is a National Long Range Champion, he told me that he used CCI benchrest.

I don't hold as hard, so I get by with standard primers. But at his level, if he says benchrest primers are good primers, then they must be.

crowbeaner

My old M700 in .222 just LOVES RP 7 1/2 primers and RL7. I use CCI 400s with BLC2 and it likes that combination too. The BR4s are really good, but the price precludes me from using them except in loads that I know I'm going to be shooting from spitting distance to 300+ yards and for score. If I had to compare price versus utility, the RPs win every time.

bigautomatic

Supposedly the machines are slowed down and a little more attention is paid to consistency. If you don't measure groups by thousandths of an inch, you won't see much difference. But some of us do use a micrometer to measure groups and see results.

I would still stay on the safe side and work the load up again.

Bart B.

Primers are often made by hand mixing the wet, putty like compound on a flat surface with a flat bladed trowel. The uniformity of the mixture is critical to its shot-to-shot ignition uniformity. Almost a "black magic" process, it is not easy to do it right.

After being smeared in the holes in a metal plate, then dried, the priming pellets are put in cups then the anvil gets pressed into them. They're tested by a known force firing pin system. Those with more uniform flame are sometimes dubbed "match" and are supposed to be better for accuracy.

A friend of mine some years ago put some BB's in primed .17 Rem. cases then shot them through a BB gun barrel to measure their muzzle velocity. The speed of the BB's was directly related to the energy put out by the primer. Primers shooting BB's having the lowest velocity shot the most accurate in regular rifles. These did not necessarily have the lowest velocity spread which indicated the most uniformity of their priming compound.

I've most often used RWS 5341 primers; cost the most but also the mildest large rifle primers made. In contrast, the RWS magnum large rifle primers may well be the hottest one around but they didn't shoot as good in my 30 caliber magnums as the 5341's did.

Most primers deteriorate over time and become less uniform in their detonation characteristics. PMC primers were very uniform and on the milder side but had a near infinite shelf life. A favorite for years with long range shooters, I don't know if they're still popular.

The first batch of ammo loaded with Sierra's then new 155-gr. 30 caliber Palma bullet used powder from the same lot for the few hundred thousand rounds made. But several lots of Federal 210M match primers were used. Accuracy from a couple of those lots of primers was not nearly as good as the others. Evidence that there was considerable difference between uniformity in their "best" primers.