Registering Guns (California)

IanS

I live in California. Why do some people think its a good idea to register their handguns and long guns? I can think of the cons but what are the arguments for the pros?

JBarn3

The only practical benefit I can see is that if yout gun is lost or stolen and later recovered, there is a chance that it will be returned to you.

Of course it will probably be damaged in some way, and the gov't removes the original serial number and stamps it with a BATF number, but you still get the gun back.

The only other "benefit" is one created by statute. Some gun crimes (such as concealed carry w/o permit) are wobblers that are charged as misdemeanors if the gun is registered to you, but automatically upgraded to a felony if the gun is not registered.

JBarn3

Jim March

There's only one significant "pro": if you pack without a CCW permit, it'll be a misdemeanor for the first "offense" but ONLY if the gun is registered to you. If it ain't, it's a felony.

El Rojo

I have a question. What do they mean by registered? Are they talking about they can trace the firearm to being purchased by you, or are they actually talking about a seperate registration process? There is no way in hell I want to register any of my firearms willingly with this state. It is bad enough the county knows I have the three handguns that are listed on my CCW. I always thought that when they say registered, they mean it was purchased by you and they can figure it out by doing a manual trace.

Come to think about it, two of the handguns on my CCW permit aren't even traceable to my name. They are in my dad's because when I wanted them, I wasn't 21 yet and he bought them and then when I was old enough, "gave" them to me. That fact didn't seem to bother the sheriffs department at all.

Bob G.

If you have purchased guns in California you have registered them. You may not have known it, but you did.
Friend of mine got a CCW, when he went to the interview with LEO the officer had a list of EVERY gun he had purchased in California.
Now, don't you feel safer.
Bob

Jim March

What Bob G. said, except that guns you've had a LONG time (12+ years) might have been legally bought off-paper, private transaction, therefore not registered to you. Registering them makes illegal carry of 'em a misdemeanor versus a felony.

If you bring guns into the state, you have 60 days to register them.

Cain R

Simple...The biggest PRO for registration of firearms is so that Big Brother KNOWS who has WHAT and WHERE it is when the bubble goes up.:p

tyme

Administrator
Jim, I thought only handguns were required to be registered within 60 days. Non-AW long guns don't have to be registered IIRC.

If they're ever stolen (by someone other than Big Bro'), then some cheerful and benevolent government official can, ahem :rolleyes:, return them to you.

imadork

From the DOJ FAQ at http://www.caag.state.ca.us/firearms/

4. Can I give a firearm to my adult child?_ Can he/she give it back to me later?

Yes, as long as the adult child receiving the firearm is not in a prohibited category and the firearm is a legal firearm to possess, the transfer of a firearm between a_ parent and child or a grandparent and grandchild is exempt from the dealer transfer requirement._ However, if the firearm is a handgun, you must submit an Operation of Law form and $14 fee to the DOJ within 30 days._ Assault weapons may not be transferred in this fashion._ See Penal Code section 12285, subdivision (b).

(PC section 12076(c))_

operation of law form: http://www.caag.state.ca.us/firearms/forms/pdf/oplaw.pdf

Registration does not work. Name me one country or state that has registration and gun crimes went down. Now name me one country or state that has registration that has not led to the confiscation of the law abiding citizen’s firearms. Criminals do not register their firearms, nor will they turn them in if a confiscation happens.

Police have a very good system currently for tracing guns, they call the manufacturer of the firearm give them the make and serial # and the manufacturer tells them what FFL it was shipped to. Police then call that FFL and they have all the info of the transaction complete with your fingerprints if you purchased it recently within the last 2 years.

The only real reason behind registration these days in the US is the complete and utter disarmament of civilian’s firearms, nothing more.