Register People Who Cannot Purchase/Possess Firearms

USAFNoDak

We should implement a firearms safety training course in the public, private and parochial schools. It would be mandatory by age 12. Anyone who wanted to be exempted would only need a written note from parent or legal guardian. If exempted your name would be filed in the national database with those who have committed felonies, have been committed to mental institutions, have renounced their US citizenship, committed violent felonies while a juvenile, etc. If your name appears in this data base, you are not allowed to purchase or possess firearms, until you complete the training at an approved govt. location, and/or had your crime absolved by the courts. All people who are older than 12 when this is implemented would be grandfathered in as their name would already not appear unless they were entered in the data base for criminal infractions. All you would need to present to an FFL would be an approved photo ID (ie drivers license, military ID, etc.) to purchase and they would not need to keep any records of the sale. Private sales would be unaffected, but possession would still be illegal. This way we all get the safety training we should have, and early enough to make sure we can purchase firearms when we become adults. Also it doesn't allow the govt. to keep tabs on who owns guns, only those who are prohibited. Any thoughts?

------------------
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude
better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in
peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the
hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may
posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." Samuel Adams.

Al Mondroca

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by USAFNoDak:
We should implement a firearms safety training course in the public, private and parochial schools. It would be mandatory by age 12. Anyone who wanted to be exempted would only need a written note from parent or legal guardian. If exempted your name would be filed in the national database with those who have committed felonies, have been committed to mental institutions, have renounced their US citizenship, committed violent felonies while a juvenile, etc. If your name appears in this data base, you are not allowed to purchase or possess firearms, until you complete the training at an approved govt. location, and/or had your crime absolved by the courts. All people who are older than 12 when this is implemented would be grandfathered in as their name would already not appear unless they were entered in the data base for criminal infractions. All you would need to present to an FFL would be an approved photo ID (ie drivers license, military ID, etc.) to purchase and they would not need to keep any records of the sale. Private sales would be unaffected, but possession would still be illegal. This way we all get the safety training we should have, and early enough to make sure we can purchase firearms when we become adults. Also it doesn't allow the govt. to keep tabs on who owns guns, only those who are prohibited. Any thoughts?
[/quote]

Yeah, I have a thought.

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

Putting the names of proscribed gun owners in a database is, functionally, no different from putting the names of _legal_ owners in a database. Either way, would-be gun buyers would _still_ have to present their state-approved, mostly state-issued "papers" in order to get PERMISSION to buy a gun. And, of course, as we've been screaming for years, criminals aren't going to obey any such law. They'll get fake ID to use, if they bother with legitimate channels at all, or simply buy stolen guns or steal them themselves.

Meanwhile, of course, the law-abiding gun buyers will have provided their names and addresses and a nice list of every gun they've ever bought to the helpful feds. You know, the same people who are CURRENTLY keeping an illegal list of registered guns and gun owners despite explicit prohibitions on doing so in the very bill that forces you and I to undergo the check. Do you really think THIS system would be any better?

(What happens if they "accidentally" add YOUR name to the no-guns list because they don't like your politics? How much time and money can you afford to spend trying to prove you don't belong on that list?)

No--there is NO ACCEPTABLE BACKGROUND CHECK SYSTEM. None. Any 14 year-old girl should be free to walk into a hardware store, slap her cash on the counter and walk out with a belt-fed machinegun (or a SAM) without showing an ID, giving her name, filling out any forms or undergoing any kind of background check. That's the plain meaning of the Second Amendment, and it ought to be our proudly-announced ultimate goal.

(Scaring the hell out of the gun-grabbers with _that_ picture, then settling for merely reducing the restrictions on purchases today, as the first practical step, is another matter. Demand everything, then "settle" for getting one or two steps closer to your ultimate goal of unrestricted compliance with the Second Amendment. Then, as soon as the ink is dry, push for the next step. That is, after all, how the gun-grabbers got us HERE.)

You don't shift the terms of the debate by starting from the most recent concession and dragging your feet as you get sucked into still more. You shift the terms by making your OWN radical demands, terrifying the opposition with it, and then "settling" for a compromise that brings you CLOSER to your ultimate vision.

The bad guys have successfully foisted background checks on us. Don't start by accepting that. Start by demanding your RIGHT to unrestricted access, then "settle" (today) for merely peeling away a few of the more onerous restrictions. Lather, rinse, REPEAT.

USAFNoDak

Al, you make several good points, especially the point about falsely entering names into a "restricted" data base for political reasons. That being said, if we could get something like this in place we would not allow recording of the guns being purchased. That would be criteria #1. We would need no other special ID other than some acceptable photo ID which we already use, such as a drivers license for example. Plus, felons are already put into data bases for law enforcement purposes, so we would be doing nothing new. I would propose this only as a measure to swing the political atmosphere back towards our side. Then we could continue to work on locking up criminals who use guns for a very long time. This would drop the crime rates down and we could then begin to roll back the other onerous laws towards where you have said we should be. No background checks. No bans. No $200 tax. No regulations on interstate sales. I would like to get there as well, so on that point we agree. We are a long way from this politically today. We need to start pulling in the rope. If we merely cut the rope, I believe we will go in the wrong direction, that is fall further down the slippery slope. I understand that some people want to do that to get to the fight sooner rather than later. If we can shift the political winds first, we may be able to avoid physical conflict. It may come to that anyway, but I would hope we would have at least tried some other method before hand.

------------------

ChrisR246

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by USAFNoDak:
We should implement a firearms safety training course in the public, private and parochial schools. It would be mandatory by age 12. ...

Any thoughts?

[/quote]

I have several thoughts on the idea:

1)There should be no requirement to exercise ones rights.

2) The Federal Government should not be mandating anything that should be taught in schools. The Ferderal Government should not be involved in public education at all - it is clearly a local/state right.

3) I don't believe that most public schools are capable of teaching my (soon to arrive) child to read, write, use math or think critically. I certainly do not want them involved in teaching my child safe gun handling. (Some kid in a mandatory English class that screws up doesn't conjugate a verb properly. Some kid in a mandatory gun safety class screws up and my kid could be killed!)

4) Similar to #2 - I plan on sending my child to parochial grade school. I don't think government at any level should be mandating what is taught in a private institution.

I don't want to sound harsh, but ultimately your idea sounds like the opposite side of the coin of the pc/liberal agenda - state sponsored coersion and mandatory indoctrination of children with the ideas you support. I agree with your sentiment ( gun safety and expansion of exposure to guns in a "good" enviornment), but can not agree with your methods.

[This message has been edited by ChrisR246 (edited October 17, 2000).]

Al Mondroca

Al, you make several good points, especially the point about falsely entering names into a "restricted" data base for political reasons. [/quote]

Glad you agree with me on that.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>That being said, if we could get something like this in place we would not allow recording of the guns being purchased. That would be criteria #1.[/quote]

The Brady Bill, which mandates national background checks, EXPLICITLY PROHIBITS the government from keeping records of gun purchases. But the FBI is doing it anyhow, and the courts have decided that they're doing nothing wrong. What makes you think they'll obey _your_ law when they won't even obey the restrictions in THEIR law?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>We would need no other special ID other than some acceptable photo ID which we already use, such as a drivers license for example.[/quote]

You're still buying into the notion that background checks of legal purchasers will reduce crime. That's simply not true. John Lott has done research on the subject, and found NO BENEFIT from such checks. By accepting this argument in _any_ form, you're surrendering the moral high ground to the gun-grabbers. Any objections can and will be spun as willingness (on your part) to sacrifice innocent lives for your own selfish desires.

Besides, your proposed system is indistinguishable from the current system in at least one important way. The CURRENT system is a comparison of your ID info against a database of prohibited persons. If you're not on that list, you are supposed to get a clearance. How does that differ from your system?

In addition, if you accept the background check argument at all, you have to agree that the system is worse than useless if people can successfully present false ID. But in order to assure that no false IDs are being used, you'll have to have some way to positively identify someone without error--so how can you object to being photographed or fingerprinted? How can you object if, next year, they decide that DLs are too easily forged, and demand an expensive, federally-issued Gun Owner ID Card with your photo, fingerprints, mental health status, etc., imbedded in a smart chip?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>I would propose this only as a measure to swing the political atmosphere back towards our side.[/quote]

I'd be much happier if, instead of this scheme, you worked toward simply repealing the requirement that identifying information on the GUN being bought be supplied to the feds during the check. If they are never _told_ what gun you're buying, they can't record it. And if they claim that their only purpose is making sure you are legally entitled to own a gun, then they can't complain if you demand that they simply check YOUR background...and that what kind of gun you're buying (to say nothing of make, model and serial number) is none of their goddamned business.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Then we could continue to work on locking up criminals who use guns for a very long time.[/quote]

No. I don't want people locked up for using a gun to commit a violent crime. I want them locked up for committing a violent crime. Period. The weapon is irrelevant--agreeing to get tough on "gun crime" is just another way of ceding the argument to the gun-grabbers. Death or injury inflicted with a gun is no more--and no less--awful than death or injury inflicted with a knife, club or a fist. [Not to mention that when owning a gun, carrying a gun, and using a gun become crimes, a self-defense shooting becomes justifiable cause to send YOU to prison for life as a three-felony loser. And don't think that they won't prosecute _that_.]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>This would drop the crime rates down and we could then begin to roll back the other onerous laws towards where you have said we should be. No background checks. No bans. No $200 tax. No regulations on interstate sales. I would like to get there as well, so on that point we agree. We are a long way from this politically today. We need to start pulling in the rope. If we merely cut the rope, I believe we will go in the wrong direction, that is fall further down the slippery slope. I understand that some people want to do that to get to the fight sooner rather than later. If we can shift the political winds first, we may be able to avoid physical conflict. It may come to that anyway, but I would hope we would have at least tried some other method before hand.
[/B][/quote]

You don't _fight_ background checks by _proposing_ background checks. You fight them by...fighting them. Demonstrating that they don't work, can't work, and are waste of LEO resources and an unacceptable infringement of your liberties. You fight them by announcing your ideal (no background checks of any kind), but "compromising" by repealing a couple of the most onerous restrictions this week...then targeting a couple more next week.

Background checks don't work.
Licensing doesn't work.
Registration doesn't work.
Worse, they turn rights into privileges, and lead to ever-greater restrictions.

Don't try to "fix" them. Eliminate them. (You'll have to eliminate them slowly, incrementally, the same way they were imposed, most likely. But move--always--in the direction of LESS interference, not more.)

[This message has been edited by Al Mondroca (edited October 17, 2000).]

USAFNoDak

To Chris and Al,
First let me correct Chris on my stand on firearms training in the schools. It would be done by an outside agency, and the NRA would be the best likely candidate. It would not be mandated, only offered. Having said, that I have rethought my whole idea and I think Al is right in that it doesn't get us off of the slippery slope. The anti's will always be looking for ways to tighten the knot. And I do agree, background checks have nothing to do with stopping crime. They are political "feel good ploys". I have read and followed John Lott's work. My error was in looking for a political way to get some of the undecideds on our side, because we seem to be loosing the political battles. I think that we still need to look at ways to do this. In any negotiation, you do have to aim high. Then, depending upon your negotiating skills, you may have to settle for a little bit less, but continue to work toward your goal again. That is the task at hand. I am not convinced that us freedom believers will win with a winner take all approach at this time. The gun grabbers have taken us here inch by inch. I am hoping we can find a way to move the rope in the other direction. It would be great if we could go all the way, by that may not be practical at this time. We must all look for ways to win even the smallest of battles. It is everyday that we must battle for freedom. We cannot toss a hail mary and hope to win. I appreciate both of your inputs. This shows the value of having these forums, to bring up ideas and discuss the pros and cons of those ideas.

------------------

Waitone

If we as a society deem some people as unfit to own and operate firearm under all circumstances, then it seems logical and rational that the same "we" should say these people should be entered into a national database. By doing so we are making the assumption that those who commit crimes are fewer in number than those who don't. Those who commit crimes are therefore the first place to look for determining if someone is eligible to own or operate a firearm.

It is logical and rational to register on a national basis those who are precluded from firearms IF the you make the assumption that certain people should be kept from firearms. My view is somewhat simple-minded. You commit the time and serve the time, you have therefore paid your debt to those whom you have wronged (notice I did not say "debt to society". There is no longer any reason for inhibiting that person's liberty.

Maybe I'm a simple-minded radical, but it just seems to make sense to register those who can not own firearms IF you assume some people should not own firearms for offenses of the past for which they have already paid.

------------------
Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

Barry Goldwater--1964

P

PreserveFreedom

I have thought of a similar system but not for firearms. This may be a good way to test it:

Ok, most states color code an ID/Driver License. Most use red for minors and blue for 21+. Why not take the people convicted of a DUI and give them a black background? You wouldn't have to worry about them drinking and driving or even drinking and walking because the black background can symbolize that they are not a responsibe adult and they cannot purchase a drop of alcohol. Pretty neat, huh?