Refurbishing a rifle stock?

73dodgedart

I used the dishwasher on my AK's stock. It worked suprisingly well, but I wouldnt do it if an Anchutze is fairly valuable. It didnt hurt my stock at all. Then, I threw on some store bought stock finish $4.95. The best part of the whole thing is that it was super easy.

rem33

Try this web page

http://riflestocks.tripod.com/index.html

I have old books by Clyde Baker and Dunlap, if you can look at those, also you can get good tips from Gunsmith Kinks from Brownell's. They also sell some good products that as far as I know are not available elsewhere. Others here, I am sure will add better advice than mine.
Add lots of elbow grease and it will be beautiful. It will be worth the effort.

skeeter1

First tip: No dishwasher!! That will ruin it faster then anything else.

Second tip: get some furniture stripper from a hardware store, and while you're there, pick up some #000 steel wool and some tung oil. Remove all of the ironwear before you start working on it.

Third tip: Once you have it cleaned down to bare wood, put on a coat of tung oil. This might take up to three applications over several days, with a wipe-down with more steel wool every day.

Finally, polish it up with some hard paste wax.

It will be like brand new. Trust me, I've done this before. It works.

Hedley

For the stripping agent, I've always liked the Citrustrip(sp?). It's not that harsh and it works wonders.