Refurbished rifles

JP Sarte

I recently bought a Marlin rimfire rifle and gave it a fairly good once over at the store. However once I got it home and removed the heavier than normal oil and "grease" I started to have doubts as to whether the gun was new (as it was sold to me) or a refurbished one from Marlin.

Took apart the bolt and the layer of black "encrusted" fouling is incredible. I scrubed and gave it all I could but most of it is still there. Just me but I don't think that a gun made in 2008 (I called Marlin this morning and asked) should show that kind of fouling. The barrel looks like it has had about 1000 shells put through it given the amount of fouling in there. I have never seen a proof at the factory make a barrel look like that.

Add to that small nicks and marks all over the thing. The finish looks like it has been "sanded" out in spots and then buffed?

I am going to call Marlin again in the morning and ask them if it is a refurb. or new. The lady I spoke with today may have given me the refurb date as the date of manufacture. I am not sure if they consider that the "new date" of manufacture or not.

Does anyone know if they will disclose this information? Send me documentation? If they won't tell me how can I get the information?

Any help with this matter is greatly appreciated.

JP

Dfariswheel

Marlin doesn't sell "refurbished" rifles.
It's possible you actually got a used rifle someone passed off as new.

I've never seen a new Marlin that was heavily greased, and although it's possible for a new rifle to get a slight nick or mark from shipping, there normally isn't any.

I'd be having a talk with whoever you bought the rifle from.
Something doesn't pass the smell test.

Wleoff

Many rifle companies, including Marlin, do not clean their rifles after they are test fired. So you'll see some debris in the barrel, but not fouling from a 1000 rounds. I've found crud from manufacturing in the trigger assembly and the magazine tube of a Marlin 336. This was the worst that I've seen in a new rifle. Companies don't clean after manufacturing to save dollars. You should thoroughly disassemble, clean and lubricate every new gun. But you should be able to tell the difference between crud from manufacturing/test firing and crud from use. For example, is there wear patterns on the trigger assembly and the bolt, which would indicate that it has been cycled a lot as in used? Really, as someone else posted, if you are concerned, take it back to the seller, show him the crud that you've found and discuss your concerns.

JP Sarte

I will likely have to take it back. I am not an expert but I am not new to gun buying either and I agree with the above post that something here doesn't pass the smell test. The problem is the gun store is a two hour drive one way. Trying to buy local and do the "right thing" may have bitten me on this one. I guess it's back to the store. If they balk on me and refuse to address the issue I guess I am out eight hours of time and a tank of gas.:mad:

Thanks for the replies.

JP