Refinishing ideas

twhidd

I need some ideas on what to do with this Smith model 36 I picked up a few months ago. I got it for a good price because about half the bluing was gone and it had some surface rust and a few pits. I've been working it over with some fine grit emory cloth and have removed most of the pits and most of the rest of the bluing. I don't want to spend as much money as it would cost to send it back to Smith & Wesson for a reblue, so I want to do something myself. I kind of like how it looks "in the white" but I know that's not condusive to good corrosion resistance. I also like the antiqued look, so I thought about maybe browning it. Would that be too crazy on a modern gun? I'm open to suggestions and please show pictures of any refinishing projects any of you may have done.

38snubnose.jpg

Bill DeShivs

Well, it's your gun-but I would suggest a finish upgrade. Bluing is not an ideal finish anyway.
Since you like the look, with a little more sanding and polishing, the gun will be a good candidate for nickel plating. You can plate it at home.
www.caswellplating.com has kits.

Last edited:

BarryLee

A friends Father had .38 snubbie that was parkerized and I always thought I looked real cool. I am not certain, but I suspect you would have to send it out to have it done.

drail

If it was mine I would clean it up with a fine grit bead blast and have it Parkerized. If kept oiled it won't rust again. I plan on having my S&W revos finished that way when the bluing wears away. But first it should be checked over by a revolversmith to make sure it is tight and the headspacing is good.

Dino.

If it were mine, I would have left it alone.
Refinishing almost always depreciates value.
Besides, I like guns with "character". :)

twhidd

Refinishing almost always depreciates value.
I figured someone would suggest that. As I stated, the finish was almost gone and it had rust and pitting. The gun didn't have much value to begin with.
But first it should be checked over by a revolversmith to make sure it is tight and the headspacing is good.
The gun functions and locks up fine.

ClydeFrog

Treat your wheel gun right...

;)
A few members here & in "the know" like these firms for plate work & custom coatings.
For a carry or defense revolver with minor marks or scuffs, I'd buy the black, brown or navy blue type services.
Here are some top picks; www.apwcogan.com www.bearcoat.com www.black-t.com www.robarguns.com . Robar's great NP3+ can protect your J frame snub but it's not cheap. Avoid the "RoGard". It scuffs & nicks quickly. :(
Walter Birdsong's Black-T & Green-T are industry standards and are in use with many "spec ops" & SWAT troops all over the globe. Bearcoat is a good choice too. They are fast & offer full service plans. APWCogan.com is a long time source for nickel, gold, ceramic(milspec type extreme use), black oxide, etc. They are in AL now but started in the Tampa Florida area.

Whatever coating or treatment you choose, any of these brands should meet your needs.

ClydeFrog

C0untZer0

The other day I saw a Nickel Combat Model 19 with a 3" barrel, it was just beautifull.

The NP3+ has a nice look I think, but as has been said. It is expensive.

ClydeFrog

Funny but true story...

I booked a sweet deal on a LE trade in Beretta 96D with full Robar NP3 treatment. The FFL holder/gun shop owner thinks it's stainless. ;)

I'm not telling him what the 96D really is because the pistol's sale price is fairly low.

As movie legend John Wayne once stated; "You can't fix stupid." :)

twhidd

I have a similar story about a Beretta 96D. I recently took a part time job at a local gun store while I'm in between careers (long story for another time). They had a 96D in their used gun case. The owner and partner had no idea what it was. They couldn't understand why it had no safety lever and the concept of double-action-only was completely beyond them. I tried to explain it to them but I still don't think they quite got it. The last thing I heard about it after it sold was "I'm glad we got rid of that thing, I didn't like it because it had no safety". I could start a whole thread about similar comments that I've heard come from these guys. My time there has been amusing if nothing else.