Refinishing by S&W

redstategunnut

I picked up a Model 28-2 that was not treated well by the former owner(s). It has some rust and pitting. I'm thinking of sending it to S&W for factory refinishing. Does anyone have experience with this and if so, what was the turnaround and what were your results?

bluetopper

I have read on forums that Smith sends their used revolvers out to Fords to be refinished, but don't know for a fact that this is true.

Fords does do remarkable work true or not.

Last edited:

Webleymkv

I'm interested as well as while my M28-2 was not abused, it would benefit from a refinish (the blueing is worn in several places most notably the cylinder) as well and I was considering S&W for this bit of a restoration work.

redstategunnut

I spoke to S&W today. I pay about $200 and the front end shipping. They can reblue the gun, but not to the original specs (which is okay with me). It seems the EPA didn't like some of the chemicals they were using back in the day. The turnaround is 4-6 weeks.

bluetopper

My local smith here in town charged me $75 to do this 15-4 I found in sad shape at a pawn shop. I replaced the grips and original hammer with a target hammer.

15rt.jpg