Refinished Glock barrel (pics)

Sixer

Just decided to try and refinish my Glock 23 barrel and what would happen. I know there have been a few other posts on this topic but I thought I would show it off a little bit! It took a Scotch-Brite pad, some fine sand paper, a Dremmel tool with a buffer and some jewelry polish (time and elbow grease also played a big role!) but I was very pleased with the results... P.S. I know your gun is a "tool" and you wouldn't polish your hammer, but what the heck...

G23c.jpg

G23b.jpg

G23reflect.jpg

Check out the mirror finish in this last pic. It almost seems like the barell is transparent, thought that was pretty neat!

Alleykat

It'll be interesting to see if you penetrated the Tenifer, thereby negating it's hardening and rust-resisting properties.

Sixer

I will be sure to let you know if it rusts, but I've got a good feeling that I would need more than a Scotch-Brite pad to ruin a Glock...

" The Tenifer finish on a Glock is the third and final hardening process. It is 0.05 millimeters thick and produces a 64 Rockwell C (diamond cone) hardness rating via a 500 °C nitride bath. The final matte, non-glare finish meets or exceeds stainless steel specifications, is 85% more corrosion resistant than a hard chrome finish, and is 99.9% salt-water corrosion resistant. After the Tenifer process, a black Parkerized finish is applied and the slide is protected even if the finish were to wear off." - Wikipedia

As for the sand balasting, I think I'm gonna hold off on that. I like the sound of it, but I could definately picture a scenario where something goes extremely wrong! :eek:

Alleykat

Like so many "sources" quoted in Wik, there's a teeny bit of erroneous info, I believe. The Tenifer penetrates a few microns. I believe that's a lot shallower than .05 mm. I wasn't too concerned about the Scotchbrite; however, you did mention sandpaper. ;)

Sixer

Good point on Wiki as a source, you got me. Still, I dont think I've compromised the integrity of the gun. I had fun doing it as a little project and seeing the final results. With ammo at its current price I will probably be looking at it more than shooting it anyway :)

varoadking

I did the same thing to my G19 several years ago. Haven't done it to any of my other Glocks...not sure I really care for the look...

guns020.jpg

Great pic's though...

bushidomosquito

I did the same thing to my G23 today after reading your post yesterday and it looks just like yours so pics would be redundant. I like the look. I used 600 grit paper on a piece of glass to keep everything flat and made sure to stay away from the muzzle crown. Then took the Dremel buffer and Flitz cream to it.

bushidomosquito

Yes they certianly are. I'm thinking of doing the extractor, slide release and catch, the ends of the pins and maybe even polishing a steel mag catch, stainless guide rod and aluminium trigger and installing those.

Somebody please talk me out of just doing the whole slide! :eek:

Dj Dust

I did mine a year or more ago and i have never had any rust problem exept for the extractor (it does not have tennifer finish). But the pins and everything else is fine.