Refinish or not?

KBP

I just picked up a 1949 Winchester Model 94 and the metal is in almost perfect shape. The blueing is great without a scratch and the rifle locks up like its hardly been shot. The wood, on the other hand has some of its finish comming off and a few small dents. Should I refinish the wood? I can easily remove the stocks and carefully sand the wood using multiple grades of sandpaper until the wood looks like a new stock and finish it with Tru-oil. Will this ruin the collectable value? Any thoughts on a quality refinishing job?:confused:

TXGunNut

Wondering how it would look with a bit of oil rubbed into the existing finish. Pretty sure refinishing would devalue it for a finicky collector but a little touch-up may keep it looking honest.

GURU1911

Answer the following questions:

1. Did you purchase the rifle as a $$$$$ investment?
2. Did you purchase the rifle to use as a shooter & woods companion for the remainder of your life ????

If you answered "yes" to question #1, then do not refinish the wood.
However, if you answered "yes" to question #2, then by all means refinish the stock & forearm.

Guru1911

Deja vu

Answer the following questions:

1. Did you purchase the rifle as a $$$$$ investment?
2. Did you purchase the rifle to use as a shooter & woods companion for the remainder of your life ????

If you answered "yes" to question #1, then do not refinish the wood.
However, if you answered "yes" to question #2, then by all means refinish the stock & forearm.

great advise and simply put.

GURU1911

Thank you, mr. Deja vu

Thanks for the "atta-boy" regarding my questions & advise to this shooter. At all times i attempt to use logic, common sense, & 50 years of experience when advising other shooters, their questions, & helping them resolve problems with their firearms.

I consider it a high honor to be a senior member of this forum and in the position to pass along a lifetime of commitment to the shooting sports.

I am at your service anytime you ask for help.

Sincerely yours,

guru1911

KBP

Thanks for everyone that replied! I have a few Winchester Model 94s and I have several for investments and several for shooters. Great rifle for hunting in the woods.(most shots are under 50 yards) You just confirmed my feelings on refinishing. I only buy rifles that were well taken care of and my shooters are mostly 32 Specials. I think this 30-30 will remain in "as is condition" (which is in amazing shape for a lightly used 1949 rifle) Its always a big help to hear other peoples thoughts before making a decision! Have a Happy Memorial day and God bless our Veterans!:D