Refinish on an old S&W M&P .38?

ScottRiqui

I learned recently in another thread that the factory-nickel M&P should not have a nickeled trigger or hammer. Mine has both. The gun was my grandfather's and then my father's, and neither of them is the type to refinish a gun. I thought that my grandfather was the original purchaser, but I guess there's a chance he wasn't.

Overall, the finish looks like it was applied well, and none of the markings look "filled in". The freckling in the pictures is a recent development; I left the gun in a fire-resistant safe for two years while I was out of state, not knowing that the safe's fire resistance comes from a moisture-impregnated liner in the safe walls. The gun's exterior finish was a mess when I got back, but it shoots beautifully, and the bore and chambers are clean and bright, so I'm putting off the decision of whether or not to have to re-plated.

The serial number under the barrel doesn't start with 'B', so I think the gun came from the factory nickeled. The number under the barrel is "4726XX", with a 'V' off to the left, and a "P" off to the right.

Could these have been replacement nickeled parts from the 30s or 40s?

DSC_2792_zps8517a8f9.jpg

DSC_2791_zps7cf183ed.jpg

DSC_2790_zps9e2dcc42.jpg

Last edited:

James K

Member In Memoriam
That revolver is a so-called "Victory Model" made on contract with the U.S. government for its own use and for shipment to allied nations under Lend Lease. Most of the guns sent to other countries were in .38 S&W caliber; guns for the U.S. were in .38 Special. None were nickel plated.

The finish on your gun is not factory. You can have the nickel plating stripped electrically, then either re-plated or blued, as you prefer. The polishing and plating destroyed any collector value, though it may well be a good shooter.

Jim

ScottRiqui

Thanks - back when I didn't realize the "V" was part of the serial number, I thought the gun was older than the "Victory" models.

DPris

Member Emeritus
Agree with James.
Zero collector value regardless of what you do with it, definitely not a factory finish.
You won't get your money back after re-plating if you ever try to sell it, so the only question as to whether to re-finish or not is what you want it to look like & if you're willing to spend the money to get it there.
Denis

ScottRiqui

Nah, this one's never going anywhere. I wouldn't even consider having it re-plated if the imperfections were all "honest wear". But the fact that they're all my fault from storing it in the wrong kind of safe have me considering it, if only out of guilt.

I called, S&W, and they won't re-plate something this old, but they put in touch with an independent gunsmith they use, so it's an option.