Reduced power op rod spring for m1a

IrvJr

Hey All - does anyone make a reduced power op rod spring for the M1a/M14 that would allow an M1a/M14 to cycle reliably with a reduced power .308 load?

Slamfire

No, I supposed you can always cut coils.

How low do you want to go?

In my testing, and I have conducted a lot more than the data below, you get below 2400 fps in a match M1a's or Garand, and the thing does not shoot well.

These were designed to function within a limited pressure curve, and the things shoot best at service ammunition pressures and velocities.

PAT2520 is Pat's surplus AA2520.

Code:
[SIZE="3"]M1a Super match 1:10 Douglas barrel.

174 FMJBT 39.0 grs PAT2520 wtd  Mixed LC, WSR(brass) OAL 2.800		
T = 50 °F 	10-Mar-02

Ave Vel =	2335						
Std Dev =	25						
ES =	82						
Low =	2282						
High =	2364						
N =	10						

poor group							

174 FMJBT 40.0 grs PAT2520 wtd  Mixed LC, WSR(brass) OAL 2.800	
T = 50 °F 	10-Mar-02

Ave Vel =	2375						
Std Dev =	21						
ES =	71					 	
Low =	2336					 	
High =	2407						
N =	9						

better group

174 FMJBT 41.0 grs PAT2520 wtd Lot 6095 Mixed LC, WSR(brass) OAL 2.800	
T = 50 °F 	10-Mar-02

Ave Vel =	2469						
Std Dev =	22						
ES =	72						
Low =	2422						
High =	2494						
N =	10						

good group		

168 Nosler 42.0 grs PAT 2520 wtd Lot 6095,  WLR (brass) Mixed LC  OAL 2.800	
18-Aug-02

Ave Vel =	2598						

Std Dev =	27						
ES =	77						
Low =	2552						
High =	2629						
N =	10						

very good 10 round group					

[/SIZE]

IrvJr

Slamfire - Thanks for your reply. I don't know how low I'd go. I guess if it's low enough I would manually work the bolt and use it as a single shot rifle.

The reason why I ask is because I'm thinking of getting a SOCOM 16 (16" barrel M1a). I've heard the muzzle blast is fairly significant with the short barrel and muzzle brake. I often shoot at a range that has an enclosed shooting area and I wanted to develop some lower powered ammo that would be less noisey for me and the other shooters on the line.

Have you tried any lower power loads with a lighter bullet? I would mostly be shooting 200/300 yards max with this gun so I was thinking of going with a lighter (maybe 125/130gr) bullet.

Thanks again for your post.

dmazur

...lower powered ammo that would be less noisey for me and the other shooters on the line.

Here's a link to some loads using Trail Boss, including .308 -

http://www.imrpowder.com/PDF/Trail-Boss-data.pdf

I'm not sure how much quieter reduced loads are going to be. If you are looking for something like a .38 Spl for noise, you might have to go to a powder puff load.

And, while I've read of shooting reduced .30-06 loads in 03 Springfields, these generally used lead bullets to reduce the probability of a squib. Lead bullets in gas guns introduce other problems.

Jason_G

The reason why I ask is because I'm thinking of getting a SOCOM 16 (16" barrel M1a). I've heard the muzzle blast is fairly significant with the short barrel and muzzle brake.

The SOCOM has a different gas system, so I don't know whether or not Slamfire's data will be correct for you.

Jason

IrvJr

Hi Hawk 7313,

Thanks for your reply.

I looked into the Schuster plug, but I think that when the adjustable valve is fully seated, it operates like a normal gas plug. I think I would need a plug that would increase the pressure on the op rod since the low powered ammo would create less pressure than a standard round and might not generate enough momentum to cycle the action reliably.

Am I correct? I've never seen a Schuster plug in real life, but I did look at the Schuster Mfg. website and read the description for their M1 plugs.

Thanks again for your reply.