reduced loadings

onlybrowning

Anyone have any experience in loading a 300WSM or 325 WSM to about 2600fps with a 180 grain bullet. I am desiring a load just less than the published minimums, and am wondering if expecting 1" or less groups are attainable (all else being equal) with reduced loads. Would I stil be using the same powders listed? Looks like a slow burning powder would fill the case more...:confused:

Shoney

Loads for 300WSM
http://www.imrpowder.com/data/rifle/300winsm-2005apr03.php
Loads for 325WSM
http://www.imrpowder.com/data/rifle/325wsm.php

The loads listed for each cartridge will produce 2700 fps, yet not be under the minimum specs. I don't believe you would notice much if any reduction in recoil using these loads, and the accuracy may not be what you want.

Loads less than the minimum are not wise, because of the possibility of SEE (Secondary explosive effect or detonation). Although I have read of the safe use of reduce loads 15% below Max, accuracy suffered.

A general rule of thumb for reloaders is to take the max listed load, reduce by 10% and work up. The 10% reduction of the max loads is well below the minimum loads listed. Before I were to reducue less than the minimum listed, I would call the the factory.

onlybrowning

I appreciate the info, but I am looking to use heavier bullets than listed in the youth data. If you look at my post called "Caliber Question" in the "Art of the Rifle" section, I have layed out some data and other ideas. Thank you for the help so far.

steve4102

I appreciate the info, but I am looking to use heavier bullets than listed in the youth data. If you look at my post called "Caliber Question" in the "Art of the Rifle" section, I have layed out some data and other ideas. Thank you for the help so far.

Yup, I saw that you wanted to use heavier bullets. That is why I sent you the link to Hodgdon's 4895 youth page. The paragraph above the load data explains how to use the 60% rule for reduced charges.

hoghunting

When working up a load for my 300 WSM, I used 7 different powders and started at the 10% less than max loadings. What I found in all the powders was accuracy wasn't very good until pressures were increased. My best accuracy happened at .8 grs less than max. Accuracy at most starting loads was in the 3"-4" range.

onlybrowning

great info guys. I apreciate it. I did not see the link for the reduced loadings in the youth section. If you see my post on the "art of the rifle" section, I am now thinking maybe 7mmWSM may be better. I am confused, and if you see the thread you may know why. After all, I am only a first grade elementary teacher. :D -I understand this stuff-I think.

Williamr

Reduced loadings

I use reduced loads in semi-auto hand guns, just enough to operate the action and you can see the bullet leave the muzzle of the barrel(45 Auto). Then I used reduce smokeless powder loads for black powder cartridges. Only a few sokeless powders can be used in place of Blac Powder. Have you tried reducing your present load down little by little? If a single base powder is unsatifactory, I would try double base powder for rifle reloading only. Stay away from double based pistol and shotgun powders. I woud start with their minimum load and work downward little by little. Please post what you learn.

williamr

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
I've used 20 grains of 2400 to push 169-grain lead gas check bullets from an '06. Around 1,800 ft/sec or so. Odds are you could work up such a load to 2,600, but just guessing...

FWIW, Art