Redhawk vs. Super Redhawk

Mylhouse

Greetings.
I have a 7.5" SS .44 Redhawk with the integral scope ring grooves. I LOVE going FULL BORE with my reloads (pushing 1,200 foot pounds).
Since I can already mount a scope to my Redhawk, is there any reason I should step up to the SUPER Redhawk? I mean, are there any advantages the SRH has over the standard Redhawk? Is it stronger? More durable?
I don't care about looks, as I think they are about equal in aesthetics.
Thanks.

WESHOOT2

Redhawk is perfect. Be happy.

-----------------------------------

"all my Redhawks are factory Redhawks"

mobias

The only way it could conceivably make a difference would be if you were planning on shooting tens of thousands of really heavy 44 mag loads, and even then I think the standard Redhawk would still be up to it. I wouldn't worry about it. Either one can take far more punishment than a 629 Smith.

ZeusOne

What a delimena. I faced a like situation; having to decide between a Redhawk or Super Redhawk. In the end, I purchased the SRH, thinking that it may be marginally stronger. So IF I shoot thousands of full-boat .44M loads, I might find this out. However, I must admit that the regular Redhawk is a much better looking gun.

Alan R

I called and spoke to a Ruger tech regarding this question and his response was, "I'd like to shake the hand of the man who could wear out either one...ain't gonna happen".

ZeusOne - I agree regarding the aesthetics of the Redhawk over the SRH (I bought the former).

Mal H

Staff
There was an article a few years ago (Shooting Times?) about a 10,000 round test of a Redhawk using full house Black Hills ammo. I don't have the article handy, but as I recall the checks of the gun at the end of the test only showed that it was more accurate than at the beginning. I think the cylinder clearance was also a wee bit larger. No noticable problems at all except for the shooters hands and arms.

jtduncan

I talked to tech support at Ruger last week. The only difference is the SRH has scallop mounts above the cylinder and different grips.

Cylinders and strength are the same.

I just bought a RH because I too like its looks.

Craig Luna

You are missing a few points.

The SuperRedhawk has a trigger/spring setup that allows for a better trigger pull without reliability

The SuperRed has greater mass and grips from the factory that eat up recoil better.

(and the Ruger integral mount isn't exactly a minor feature)

But with the Redhawk, you can send it off and have Bowen do his awesome Alpine conversion on it.

-CAL