Redhawk vs Super Redhawk

JohnKSa

Administrator
Besides the grip frame and the frame extension, what are the differences between the Redhawk and the Super Redhawk?

Any differences in strength or frame size (other than as mentioned above)? What about cylinder length, accuracy, etc.?

I posted awhile back about modifying a Super, but I'm beginning to think that the cheapest solution is just to trade it for a Redhawk.

BTW, I've shot both guns and I don't like the Redhawk grips as well. Is there any way to get a grip more similar to the Super Redhawk on a Redhawk?

Thanks,

John

JohnK

Since the grip frames are totally different, the Super Redhawk has a grip like the GP100, I think it would be extremely expensive to have a Redhawk frame machined/cut/welded into something that could fit a grip like the Super Redhawk.

I haven't put a caliper on them but I belive the cylinders of the Redhawk and Super Redhawk, both chambered in 44 Magnum, are the same. Ruger uses a different steel for the 480 and 454 frames and cylinders on the Super Redhawk.

The Super might be a tad stronger than the standard Redhawk, but I don't think it's something to worry about, or base your purchase on. Either one is able of handling as much recoil as you are. :)

The Redhawk uses one spring to power both the trigger return and hammer, the Super uses seperate springs so you should be able to get a lighter trigger pull on the Super.

I prefer the grip on the Super Redhawk to the Redhawk too, if it were me I'd get the Super and have whatever mods (shorten the barrel?) rather than try to change the Redhawk grip.

rugerfreak

FWIW---if you look in the Ruger catalog----the std. 7in Redhawk is actually heavier than the 7in Super Redhawk----but I'm not sure if that counts for anything.

Sarge

Redhawks & Supers

I've shot a lot more standards than supers over the years, and yes the factory stocks on the standard model left something to be desired. Still, I couldn't abide the 'cut-down bumper jack' look and feel of the super. Then I discovered the Uncle Mike's Butler Creek grips for the Redhawk, and my problem solved itself. Before you give up in the standard Redhawk you really should try a set of these. In my hands at least, they are the best 'heavy load' stocks available for these fine revolvers. I settled on a 5.5" standard and am pretty sure it'll be all the .44 magnum I'll ever need.

jmlv

The real difference?

is the action. the redhawk has a completely different action then the super. As said above it uses 1 spring for duel duty making a good trigger pull diffcult. The super on the other hand has an action simlar to its sister revolvers the GP100 and the SP101. all 3 are basicly the same. The grip frames are also different the Redhawk having its own unique version while the Super has a grip stud exactly the same as the GP100 (grips for the two will interchange) makes custom grips much easier to find and install.
These are the major differences between the two guns other than the frame extenson you previously mentioned.

Jim T.

Hamilton Bowen in his book Custom Revolvers has a picture of a Super Redhawk wherein the frame extension was milled off and it was fitted with a std. Redhawk bbl. I don't know what he would charge to do this but it is probably $$$. As the Super Redhawk has the dual spring setup it would probably be easier to get a light (3-3.5 pound) single action pull along with a lighter double action pull. From what I have seen on standard Redhawks after tuning the single action is 3.5 to 4 pounds and the double 10 to 11 pounds.

Jim

JohnK

That's an interesting idea Jim. I wonder if the threads on the Redhawk barrel are the same as the Super Redhawk? If so I would think that any competent gunsmith could remove the SRH barrel, mill off the frame extension and install a RH barrel.

That would be an interesting way to get a short (5.5") packable 480 Ruger as well if you had the gun refinished so the barrel/frame/cylinder matched.

Last edited:

Jim T.

Modified Super Redhawk

There is a picture of the revolver on page 105 of his book. I would guess the threads are the same. Bowen has also reworked Dan Wesson and Anaconda barrels to fit the Redhawk but they require more work. From what Bowen has said he said it is hard to refinish the Super Redhawks in .454 or .480 to match the original finish so I would guess you would need to use a different finish. As you note it would make a nice, handy .480 with a 5.5" bbl. It is too bad Ruger has not changed the lockwork of the Redhawk to that of the Super Redhawk. I would think it would be less costly due to the common parts that could be used.