Redhawk redux

Master Blaster

Years ago I picked up a new Redhawk hunter model with integral scope mounts and rings. Unfortunately I did not bond with it no matter how hard I tried so it was sold. The other day I came across a used one at a Y2K price of $495 with custom grips that was just too good to pass up.

It looks brand new almost un-fired. I will be taking it to the range soon and testing it out against my S&W 629-2 that shoots like a laser. Until I publish a range report here are a couple of pictures. I have a spring kit from wolf someplace and may do a bit of spring changing and polishing after the road test.

The previous Redhawk I owned ( new in 2007) did not respond well to spring change and polishing and had a lovely 15 lb double action trigger pull in DA and a 7 lb single action pull measured on a lyman gauge. Spring changes resulted in misfires. So the first one I owned went on consignment. The used one I picked up the other day has a much better DA pull measured at 12 lbs, and a 5 lb single action pull.

I am hopefull that this time around I will have a better experience. :):cool:

Until I publish a range report here are a couple of pictures of it along side my 629-2.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• redhawkressized2.jpg
    redhawkressized2.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 271
  • Smallredhawkresize1.jpg
    Smallredhawkresize1.jpg
    235.4 KB · Views: 275
Last edited:

vba

Blaster that is one nice pair of guns right there. I assume the Redhawk is in .44 mag as well.

I have the Redhawk in .45 Colt and love it.

Master Blaster

Yesterday I took the New Redhawk to the range and tried two different special level loads. 200 LFP 6.0 grains of trailboss, and 240 Gold dot HP with 9.0 grains of Hodgdon Universal. Both shot quite well after I centered the rear sight. The previous owner had it jacked over to the far right. I also had to raise the rear a bit for my loads. After cleaning it I looked up the serial number and was surprised to discover it was made in 1985-86. I probably put more rounds through it yesterday (125) than its original owner ever did. It seems like a nice gun, and I don't see a need to do any spring changing or polishing as the trigger is acceptable and 100% reliable in Double action with the Winchester primers I am using.