Redfield -vs- VX1 -vs- Rifleman ??

oldcars

How does a new Redfield compare to a Leupold Rifleman or VX1 ? they are all made in the same place and priced pretty close, so how are they different? which is the best buy? It would be a 4x12x40 matte black if I buy one.

Te Anau

I'd rather have a clearance Nitrex from Natchez than any of those three.Almost everything Ive read recently about the VX1 and Rifleman is that they are overrated.The following is from Leupolds non ipad friendly website.

"VX-I
The VX-I also utilizes a combination of Vari-X III and Vari-X II technology, utilizing ¼-MOA friction (non-clicking) adjustments. The external lenses are multicoated and the internal lenses use magnesium fluoride.

Rifleman
Though the Rifleman line of scopes uses a different maintube (for aesthetic reasons), it is optically the same as the Vari-X II (discontinued for 2001). The adjustments are exactly the same as the Vari-X II (½-MOA friction) as are the lenses and coatings. All lenses, internal and external, are coated with magnesium fluoride. Basically, the Rifleman is a newer-looking matte finish version of the Vari-X II that helped build the Leupold reputation. It is important to note that Custom Shop options (reticle changes, target adjustment installation, etc.) are not available for the Rifleman line of scopes."

Apparently the above means that the Rifleman is not multi-coated.Thats not something I would pay $200.00 for.

Last edited:

nathaniel

Got a Nikon Prostaff BDC 4-12x40 for $199. I dont think Ill get another brand of scope. It tracks perfectly, the BDC is accurate, and it holds a zero. I cant complain, I hit prarie dogs every shot at 600+ yards.

Crankylove

I have had a Rifleman on my .358 Winchester for about 3 years now. Zero problems with it. The biggest complaint I see about it in reviews is the friction adjust for windage and elevation, instead of click adjust. People were worried it would not hold POA with only the friction. I have had no issues, and have not had to adjust anything since the initial sight in with a few hundred rounds through it now.

The Redfield I do not have on a rifle yet, but my younger brother has a 3-9x40 Redfield Revolution on his '06, and has had no issues. I will be picking up the 4-12x40 variant to put on my '06 as funds allow.

Neither of the two scopes will compare in finish to the higher dollar scopes, but for function (clear glass, holding POA, no fogging, etc.) they hold up just the same as the more expensive Leupolds, Nikons, and Zeiss's in the family.

oldcars

Thanks for all the info, I guess I should have gone into more detail with my question. There are alot of good scopes on the market now in almost every price range, and I'm not saying Leupold scopes are the best, but they are the only scope I will buy because I like there warrenty and I like to support an Oregon company who still builds a quality product in America (yes, I know some of the lenses are imported) My mom lives only a few miles from the factory so if I need a repair (not often) I can just drop if off when I go to see her and not have to wait for weeks of shipping back and fourth. Plus, they have been very good to me in the past. I am looking to get a scope for my .223 "working" varmint rifle that will live in the truck, see lots of dust, etc so I don't want to put an expensive optic on it, but I will still be buying a Leupold product. I'm just curious if anyone has done a comparison of the Redfield, VX1, and Rifleman.

TX Hunter

The best Comparason I can make is between My Leupold Vx 2 and My Daughters Redfield Revoloution. The Two Scopes are both very clear, they both have awesome eye relief, and on both of them the adjustments are acurate and repeatable.
The Leupold is prettier, but they both function about the same.
( For a Note, I will not own a Scope with less than 4" of Eye Relief. )

jmr40

For a Note, I will not own a Scope with less than 4" of Eye Relief. )

A wise man.

I've owned all and think the Redfield is the best of the 3. The VX-2 is a step up in quality, but a small step considering it is almost twice the price of the Redfield.

taylorce1

I've owned all three, the only one I don't have anymore is the Rifleman 3-9. I bought it on a .30-06 and it held up fine on that rifle until I sold it. I then moved it to my AR and it held up fine on it as well until I sold that rifle and the guy wanted it with the scope.

I've had the VX-I 3-9X40 on my .243 Win for the last 5 years. It works perfectly and no complaints with it either. I bought it because it was gloss and that was what I wanted instead of a matte scope.

I just this year bought two 4-12 Redfields this year. The one I don't like has the accurange reticle. Other than that I like the click adjustments as I don't need a coin or a screwdriver. Glass is as good as the the VX-I scope but definatly not as good as my VX-II scopes. Very functional and realisticly the best buy of the three if all you are looking for is a functional riflescope for a hunting rifle.

dgludwig

The new Redfields are essentially rebadged Riflemans-for better or for worse, depending on one's assessment regarding Leupold's lower end scopes. In my experience, the Leupold Rifleman (Redfield) line of scopes represent a good value.

PawPaw

What I like about the Redfield that I don't like about the VX-1 is that the Redfield has click turrets, easily finger-adjustable. From what little experience I have with the Redfields, they are fairly nice entry level hunting scopes.

Marquezj16

4-12x40 Accurange Reticle on Rem 700 .223 ADL Varmint

attachment.php

It's clear, holds zero and tracks well. Also used it on Tika T3 Lite in .308.

I also have Burris Fulfield II and Nikon ProStaff and Buckmasters. No Leupold. Clarity wise, the Fulfield II (4.5-14) and the Buckmaster are at the top. The Redfield are about even with the Prostaff. If I had to change something, I would have gone with out the Accurange Reticle. The circle makes it too busy and the hold overs are not listed for .308 and the .223 is made for 40 gr at 3800 fps. I still like it a lot and it helps me shoot at small targets very well.

Big Pard

Of the three, I'd prefer the VX-I. I have a new Redfield Revolution and it came in fine but the clicks felt weak. Plus, I like the Leupeold duplex reticle better. The Redfield is OK but I'd spend alittle more and get the VX-I..

wingman

[The new Redfields are essentially rebadged Riflemans-for better or for worse/QUOTE]

I believe it to be same scope with different finish and name, I have a Redfield 2-7x33 mounted on a Mini30 it's clear bright edge to edge and never a problem. On sale at $129 filled my needs.

Last edited:

Joe Chicago

I have a Redfield Revolution 2-7 and love it. The image is clear, it holds zero and the eye relief makes for a comfortable cheek weld. For around $150 you cannot beat the Redfield.

hooligan1

All three of us, me and my two son's, have three different scopes in the $200 range. Their scopes are the Weaver 40-44 4x12x40, and the other is the Redfield Revolution in 4x12x40, both are okay in my opinion, with the weaver being more crisp and better magnification.
My scope is not American made however for the same price it's a bit better than those as far as crisp picture and magnification. My scope is a Vortex Diamondback, 4x12x40, BDC reticle. It has 1/4 inch crispy clicks at 100 yds, and they are very tight and accurate.
Here's the only thing I would reconsider in my purchase an Adjustable Objective,,,,. The Weaver being the only scope of the three with AO.
My next scope purchase will definetley be the Vortex Diamondback, ? power, AO. !!

By the way I have owned three Leupolds two VXII's, one Rifleman, I still have the two VXII's!!!! the rifleman got traded for a chainsaw, which I no longer have.:eek: