Redfield Scopes

Inspector3711

Has anyone here tried the newly resurrected Redfield scopes yet? Looks like a good scope for the money. Great warranty, just like Leupold and owned by them now.

Somewhere in a forum a guy was claiming they were assembled in the US but the parts come from Asia. I've since read that they are completely made here, but who knows what's true on the internet.

The few reviews I've read have been very positive. I'm thinking about mounting one on my new AR varmint rifle. The accurange reticle looks like a good choice.

roc1

i have one on a 308 remington and it works fine. The rest of my rifle scopes are Leupold as far as hunting rifles go. I have read good things about them in Gun Mags and on the net. Some say on different forums they are not any good but they are the ones usually bashing Leupold as sorry too. I guess it is just anyones opinion. Leupold will make it good if it is defective I believe. The only Leupold I had trouble with I bought used and Leupold fixed it no questions asked free of charge like they say lifetime warranty.
roc1

Do a search. This has already been covered several times. Basically there are reports both on Optics Talk and THR of the poi changing at different magnification levels. This isn't something I'd want. Not to mention it's basically a Leupold lower than the VX-I. Since the VX-I doesn't seem to be all that great I'm not sure why anyone would buy something lower than it. Especially when you can get a nice Burris or Vortex for not much more. Either of those are a lot better scopes.

roc1

I did not see my POI change with the changing of the settings. Like I said most of the bad is with people that dont like Leupold and have not actually used the redfield. It is like the Hornady bashers on reloaders by people that have not even used one. Go figure
roc1

thallub

I have read a couple of good test reports on the new Redfield scopes.

Somewhere in a forum a guy was claiming they were assembled in the US but the parts come from Asia.

Leupold gets their glass from an Asian country. That country used to be Japan. Not sure which Asian country they get it from now.

This is Leupold's spin on the matter:

"All Leupold Gold Ring products are made here in Beaverton Oregon.Always have been. The glass has always come from Asia. In order for us to acquire the quantity of optical glass that we need and the quality that we need that has always been our best source. But everything else is made and built here in Beaverton Oregon. Sharon"

Problem is that Leupold does not want to tell you where their Leupold brand optics are made. If the Leupold scope has a gold ring it, according to Leupold it is made in the USA. Some Leupold products are made in China. If the Leupold scope does not have a gold ring on it suspect that it is made in China. Many of the Leupold spotting scopes, range finders and binos are also made in China.

I own about a dozen Leupold scopes and have never had any trouble with them. Problem is that Leupold will not tell you that their made in China product is made in China. This has turned me off with Leupold. Sounds like they are ashamed of some of their products. I will never buy another Leupold product.

Recently I bought three Zeiss scopes: I know where they were made.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/leupold_RX1000TBR.htm

http://www.baitshopboyz.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=18843&PN=1&get=last

Yea I haven't used one so I had that issue either. However, I have had issues with the VX-I and know I wouldn't want something from Leupold even worse than that.

I know a very well trusted member at Opticstalk.com did a great writeup on scopes under $200. The Redfield was one of them and he had this POI change. Then another member on THR was also having this issue. Both guys having it seems more than just a random occurrence.

TX Hunter

I would rather have a Redfield made by Leuopld for $200 than a Tasco, Simmons, Bushenell, Barska, or other Chinese scope.
If Leupold makes it it will be good, or they will make it good for you.
I have a Leupold VX 2, and its a very good ruged scope.
I was planning to mount one of the Redfields on my Sons, Savage 110.

Dougw47

Redfield scopes

Craig Boddington has an article in the March Guns & Ammo, he said that he liked his Redfield (and describes it as not full of what I call the bells and whistles,) but he will keep it on his rifle.

I figure he can have pretty darn near any scope he wants and if he is willing to keep one on his rifle...it must pass muster with me.

North Bender

thallub, you reference the Chuck Hawk's article on the Leopold RX-1000 rangefinder as proof that Leopold scopes are not made in the U.S.? In that article on the Leopold rangefinder he states:

"Unlike all Leupold scopes and their sensational MX modular flashlights, the RX-1000 is made in China."

XD Gunner

I saw one at the range a couple of days ago. I don't have any personal experience other than the 7mm Magnum it was on was shooting cloverleafs at 100 yards. The gentleman that was using it spoke VERY highly of it, and it seemed to be an overall good quality scope. I wish I had looked through it to determine the clarity of the glass.

It was sitting on a Savage 110, and it was taking a pretty good beating. I wouldn't mind putting one on any hunting gun I owned if they all performed as well as the guy claimed his did.

Even if it does work perfectly which it may. Why pick it when you can get a Vortex or Burris that will be clearer with better light transmission for not much more? The Nikon Team Primo's is another one to look at that's not all that much more. That's what I don't understand. That then the complaints of the POI shifting with magnification changes is just another thing to add onto it. Even if it doesn't do that and works perfectly though I don't see any advantage to it over the others. Sure these are $30-50 more however, they are also superior. To me it's kind of like why buy a Remington 770 when you can get a Savage 110 or Marlin XL/XS-7 for around the same price with a scope and all. I guess a lot of people don't think like me though because not only do people buy scopes like this they also buy the Remington 770's. I guess I just think differently about this stuff.

thallub

thallub, you reference the Chuck Hawk's article on the Leopold RX-1000 rangefinder as proof that Leopold scopes are not made in the U.S.?

I used that made in China rangefinder to point out the fact that Leupold is less than forthcoming when it comes to revealing the source of their optical products.

Inspector3711

Well everyone knows that Chevettes were a POS but mine ran for 120k before I sold it and never burned oil so go figure. If anything is wrong with the scope you send it back and they fix it, a major advantage over Burris is the customer service. this has to help resell value as well since it's warranted to whoever owns the scope.

I've got a Burris on my .25-06 and I love it but if anything ever goes wrong it'll be new scope time.

As far as buying American goes, I've never owned a car that wasn't. That said, my American car is mostly made elsewhere. I still buy American cars because, if nothing else, most of the profit stays here.

The arguement that "My Honda was built here" doesn't hold water with me. It's fine to buy a foreign car but don't try to convince me that they make a big impact on our economy other than employement. At least they help to employ some folks though...

I'm on a tight budget (unemployed wife) and that forces me to make decisions like this. It would be nice to just go buy a top of the line scope but it isn't happening at this point.

The drawback I see is that Redfield's highest variable range scope is the
4-12x. I'd really like to try something with more power but then the price goes up dramatically...

roc1

I agree with you Inspector we need to buy American some of the time anyways. I use Leupolds and have some Simmons with only one actually being on a 22 rifle. I love CZ but have more Rugers which are among my very favorites. I drive a Chevy my wife did now has the Toyota which was a good deal at the time.
roc1

BruceM

I've read a couple of reports stating the POI changed up to 4" when the magnification changed. If that is happening, there is something wrong with that particular specimen but not the general design. A return to the factory will fix that issue. That general problem was conquered long ago as was the non-centered reticle.

;)

Bruce

1chig

i own one, i have it on a 308. i love it and have had no trouble with it at all .I do know this , the rifle i have it on thumps pretty hard, harder than i like and the scope holds true. i love leupold scopes also and have owned many of them with no trouble, same with redfield.IMO the best.