Redfield peep sight

Big Caliber

I received a 30-06 rifle that was cobbled together by a reputable gunsmith from what looks to be modern parts and built on a Remington 1903A3 action. It has a Redfield peep sight on the rear. I saw an identical one on the net labeled "Redfield vintage model 80". The right side has elevation markings labeled "MIN" and "YDS" behind a "blade" that moves up and down. The markings are under the MIN side of the blade and there are no markings under the YDS (rightside) of the blade The windage adjustment is a screw on the left side of the top of the sight and has no markings.

I can't find any instructions online on what the elevation markings mean or how to set up the sight at any given range. The action is not drilled for a scope nor do I want to put a scope on it. (sentimental reasons) Does anybody know how to work this sight? or where I might get a set of instructions?

Slamfire

Min refer to minute of angle. All of my Redfield Target sights are 1/4 minute clicks, about 12 clicks per revolution. So if the sight is set up as my Olympic, International, Palma, one revolution either windage or elevation is 3 MOA. I think my 48S Redfields are half MOA clicks, so you will have to tinker with yours to be sure if it is 1/2 MOA clicks or 1/4 MOA clicks.

One moa is 1 inch at 100 yards, 2 inches at 200 yards, 3 inches at 300 yards, 4 inches at 400 yards, etc, etc.

Some sights have a yardage scale in addition to the minutes. They are all based on the 30-06 trajectory and that is basically zero for 100 yards, 2 more MOA for 200 yards, 3 more MOA going from 200 to 300 yards. If you don't have yard markings don't fret: I always ignored them anyway.

Go out and zero the rifle at 100 or 200 yards. Move the indicator up and down and try to have the indicator at "0" at your zero distance. Might be 100 yards, might be 200 yards. If you can't move the slide indicator to 0 minutes, then stick it on a number you can remember and that is easy to see without a microscope. (It gets worse with age!!) Write that down somewhere and count your clicks up from there, going say, 200 to 300 yards, 300 to 400 yards, 400 to 500 yards, 500 to 600 yards, and write the number of clicks it took to center the group at each distance.

Zero your windage the same basic way. No matter which rifle I shot, while I set my 100 yard windage zero to be zero on the sights, as the distance increased, the windage zero was always a little to the left or right. I think it was due to the imprecision of mechanical sight alignment. Must have been some cant in the sights, even though I set up several barrels with bubble levels on the front and rear sight bases.

Last edited: