Redding 40 S&W Die Problem? or is it me?

markr6754

I decided to add 40 S&W to my reloading bench aided by the bullets.com going out of business sale. I was able to pick up a Redding 40 S&W die set...not the 40 S&W/10 mm combination set. First time using Redding dies, but they seem really nice, and set up is no different than with the Hornady and Lee dies I have for other calibers.

However, nearly half of the cases won’t pass my Lyman loading block test. They are bright and shiny and waxed cases from Ammobrass.com, mixed head stamps, and though the majority of WIN and Winchester headstamps fail...tight or stick out of the block, some pass, while random other headstamps fail the same way. If I run the failing cases through the sizing die another 3-4 times, I can get at least 1/2 to fit the loading block...but they need a tap to drop out.

Anyone have similar problems with 40 S&W or Redding dies in general?

A common issue with 40 S&W is what are called "pregnant" cases. Some standard barrel designs (most notably the 1911 and Glock barrels) have the feed ramp continued by cutting its slope into the bottom side of the barrel's chamber mouth, called the chamber throat (not to be confused with the throat of the rifling in the barrel). When in battery, that cut leaves part of the case head exposed in what is called an "unsupported" chamber design, and if pressure is high enough, as it is with a lot of 40 S&W loads, it will bulge the case a little there. You can detect this with calipers by measuring all around the case just in front of the extractor groove. With a bulge, it will be slightly oblong, having its widest and narrowest diameters 90° around the case from one another.

A sizing die (and your Redding is a good one) has to have a slight radius at the mouth to prevent it from shaving brass. However, that means the narrow part of the die can't get all the way down to the shell holder deck. Between the shell holder and that radius, the bulge is protected from the narrowest part of the sizing die and is not completely ironed out.

This problem is so prevalent in the 40 S&W and 357 SIG and 10 mm (same head sizes) when fired in Glock barrels that Redding makes special dies called G-Rx (Glock Prescripton) dies for these rounds, both in carbide and steel (you need a case lube with the steel, and even with carbide it makes things run smoother). You mount the die on a single-stage press and insert its ram in the press, set a case on the ram and use the press to push the whole case, head and all, through the die's resizing constriction. That irons the bulge out so you can reload the brass normally.

Lee later came up with an accessory for their Carbide Factory Crimp Die (CFCD), which already has an OD constriction carbide ring, called a Bulge Buster that does the same thing the G-Rx dies do. You remove the crimp adjustment plug from the CFCD and the crimping ring first, insert the ram in your press shell holder slot and, again, it just forces the whole case through to iron out the bulge.

So you have two choices there. You can get the Redding die or buy a Lee Carbide Factory Crimp Die and their Bulge Buster accessory and run all your cases through either one. That should bring them all back to size to fit your tray, not to mention feeding smoothly into your gun.

markr6754

Thanks Unclenick....for a superb explanation as to what’s happening, as well as a recommended solution. Clearly, reloading 40 S&W required a bit more research than I did. Next venture, I ask the forum for guidance FIRST!

Grey_Lion

Sounds like someone at your range has a glock Gen 3 or before - in Gen 4 & 5 they fixed the feed ramp and case support issues. My Gen 4 .40 hasn't had any case bulge or "glock smile" problems.

A bunch of surplus fed and law enforcement .40 glocks were gen 3. There's a reason those are cheap.

markr6754

Nope...not likely at my range. I ordered this 40 S&W brass from ammobrass.com, out of Florida. Considering how much of the 1500 cases are bulged, I’d say at least 60% of the pistols in Florida must be Gen 3 Glocks.