Red dot size selection

Norrick

does it change with how far away it is viewed from? For example. A red dot on a carbine. Take it off, and put it on a pistol. It went from maybe 6 inches away to now something closer to 20 inches. Is it going to stay the same size or get smaller because its farther away?

I'm looking at the trijicon RMR for a handgun. What size do you think is appropriate for fast acquisition, with the ability to take your time and still be accurate?

Choices for the models I am lookinga t are 7MOA 9MOA and 13MOA (only interested in the fiber optic dual illumination models)

smince

Gabe Suarez and his group at Suarez International have did a lot of research into RDS on pistols in the last year.

Their recommendations are 7 or 9moa for the Dual or 8moa for the LED. Can you shoot better than 9moa with your handgun at 100yds? And they are quick to pick up at close range.

I have a 4moa on my G19 (J-Point) and it is too small for some scenarios.

Gabe has a sub-forum dedicated to RDS on Pistols at http://www.warriortalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=205

Matter of fact, there is a thread there now dealing with this very topic.

smince

FWIW, I shot this target at 50 yds today using my day pack over the hood of my Jeep for a rest.

The drill was draw and fire two as quickly as I could get the sight on the center of the paper:

Attachments

• HPIM1491.JPG
    HPIM1491.JPG
    40.6 KB · Views: 1,377
Last edited:

Norrick

I settled on the 7 MOA dual illuminated RMR.

They're out of stock everywhere. I found mine on amazon (surprisingly). They still have 2 in stock as of now if anyone else knows someone...
Link: http://www.amazon.com/Trijicon-Rugg...e=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1286020481&sr=1-1

$412 with free shipping option.

Now I just have to decide what handgun to buy to put it on. I was thinking a mark 3, but now some of these photos I've been seeing where they mill the back end of the slide of a full size semi auto to fit. It looks very tempting.

Something along the lines of M&P 9 perhaps?

I would prefer FNP 9 (actually FNX-9, but in cali... thats a no go), but I have yet to see any photos of a milled slide for these on one of those... Except the FNP 45 tactical, which makes me think, if the dimensions aren't too different, it is possible.