Red Dot Sights - Help!

dairycreek

Took my NIB Ruger Red Hawk 44 mag (5.5" bbl) out to shoot last night and it did very well - sweet gun! On the other hand I didn't do so well. As I get older it gets harder and harder to find that front sight. So, I thought I might try a "red dot" site but I know absolutely nothing about them other than what I've read. Ran a search on TFL and, to some degree, that was helpful.

I would really like to hear from those who have had experience with "red dot" sights - anything and everything would be welcomed - paticularly from those whose eyes just aren't what they used to be. Thanks in advance for your help.

jim-alex

I installed a "red-dot" on my SW686. The one I use is an Ultra Dot purchased from Larry's Guns. Used a cheap ($6) Weaver mount , the weaver rings come with the UltraDot, took a few minutes to install, a few minutes to sight in, fantastic results.
I wear bifocals and all the rest of my guns have regular sights and I shoot significantly better with the red dot. Only draw-back is it added weight to an already hefty handgun. I assume you know there is no magnification with this type of sight, just a little red dot in the middle of the aperture.

Regards
Jim

branrot

I have a red dot sight on my S&W 22S. I think it's a ProPoint 3, and I paid about 80 bucks for it, including mounting hardware which came with it. Nice sight. Works well. I recommend it. You can even adjust the brightness and size of the dot.

CWL

I own three red dots (2 on long guns), and I love them. They beat optics in speed, you keep both eyes open when using, and they're as accurate as you need. Plan on getting another one.

Chris McDermott

I use red-dot sights for Bullseye shooting. A PDP-3 on a Ruger MkII and an Optima 2000 on a Kimber 45. I am scoring MUCH better with a red-dot sight than iron sights, but still have a ways to go on my shooting.

The PDP-3 has a very small dot, and it seems to shake much more than the Optima 2000, which has a very large dot. I like the Optima better than the PDP-3, even though the PDP-3 went on easier and hasn't given me a single problem while the Optima has been one challenge after another.
I had to buy the EGW mount because Tasco doesn't have a Kimber mount. When I tried to screw the sight to the EGW mount I found out that the EGW mount isn't as thick as the Tasco mounts, so the screws are too long and have to be cut down (these are allen screws with a special thin head so it's a little hard to just replace them). Then I realized that the EGW mount doesn't have the locating pins the Tasco mounts have so everytime I clean the gun I have to re-zero the sights. And zeroing the sights is strange because you do it "backwards" - if the center of the group is to the right of the aiming point you turn the adjustment to the right - the instructions refer to moving the dot to the bullet holes instead of moving the bullet holes to the aiming point like most scopes. And when I first started using it it seemed that the adjustments always took a few shoots before they would take effect - like the internal springs weren't strong enough to actually move the settings, and you had to shoot and let the recoil shake the sight up before the red-dot would move to the new aiming point; this seems to have gone away lately. Now I've discovered that I used all of my elevation adjustment getting the sight zero'ed at 50 ft - and when I recently shot my first outdoor match at 50 yards I couldn't adjust the sight to get zeroed. SO now I'm working on some shims to enable me to get zero'ed at 50 yards. Also the little plastic window does tend to get dirty being mounted on a semi-auto with the brass & any powder residue etc getting tossed around just in front of it - I don't think that a revolver would have this problem.
Still I really like the Optima 2000 - especially for semi-autos. It mounts to the slide, so play between the slide and frame doesn't point the sight somewhere else, which can happen on a frame mounted sight. It doesn't have the problems of a heavy slide mounted sight creating jams and forcing you to change recoil springs because the weight of the sight slows the slide down too much. And so far it has taken the recoil battering without any problems. The elevation and windage adjustments seem to have a much greater range than most other sights, especially iron sights. As I said I have recently had problems with this and found that I had a vertical range of almost 24" at 50 feet with this sight. It was just mounted so I was at the end of the adjustment range. Many of the problems I have had with this sight have been actually caused by the EGW mount, so stick to the Tasco mounts and I don't think you will have half the problems I have had.

Cawdor

I wear contacts. Normally, my left contact is for reading and my right contact is for distance. When I shoot with red dots (Ruger MkII, 10/22, and a Bushmaster), I wear a distance contact lens in my left eye to keep the dot from being blurry. In other words, if you see the target clearly, you'll like the red dot.

Jack Weigand

Dairycreek,
I would agree the Tasco PDP-3 is the best dot sight for your application. We have sold and installed thousands of mounts and PDP-3's for your combination, Redhawk in .44 Mag, with great success. The field of view is great and the ability to make large point of impact adjustments for longer distances is there. I believe you would be happy with the PDP-3.
God Bless
Jack Weigand

WESHOOT2

WELCOME, Mr. Weigand

Glad to see you here.

Hope to have you tweaking my Rugers someday (kids, wife, plumbing trouble, $).

Redlg155

We have the ACOG type sights on our AR15's at work. They are pretty nifty. I like the fact that you don't have to rely on batteries.

If you are looking for some weight savings you might want to look into the C-more type sights.
http://www.cmore.com/

Good Shooting
RED

dairycreek

MANY, MANY, THANKS

to all those who responded to my post. I have already learned a lot. Know that it is much appreciated.:)