Red dot opinions

jetsfan

I know this has been brought up a lot but I haven't seen any info on the scope I am interested in. I am looking at the Aimpoint Comp C3. The advertisement says it has a 2x magnifier and is a 1MOA scope. Is that true and what are any opinions of it compared to the M3 aimpoint offers?
Thanks

Jermtheory

the C3 comes with a 2 or 4 moa dot and has no magnification.there are different magnifiers you can use with it though.

unless you plan on using night vision or diving with it,it should do everything you need that the M3 line will do.

jetsfan

The C3 on cheaper than dirt says its a 2x magnification and 1MOA but everything I read says 2 MOA. I was looking at the AIM-11422 model. What does the 2x magnification mean if its a non magnifying scope? Sorry guys I'm new to these Aimpoints and this one caught my interest.

Jermtheory

got a link?

sure its not a 9000 maybe?

i have seen mention of another C3...C3-SM maybe?but i thought it was like 7 moa and still 1x.

the basic Comp C3 is 2 or 4 MOA(your choice) and 1x.

Jermtheory

never seen that before...not listed on the Aimpoint site either IIRC.

it definately looks as if there is some kind of magnifier mounted on the front though.

the 2x magnification and 1 moa dot should make for a little better distance/precision shooting(over a standard C3 or M series at 2/4 moa and 1x),but it will be a little slower...little heavier im sure.

jetsfan

On the aimpoint site if you look under accessories it says some are available as 2x models. I didn't know what it was so I was curious. It does seem the C3 will fit my needs as its a range gun and only in rain or rare occasions. From what I can tell there isn't many options better for the under $400 price range.

Jermtheory

im going to a micro now,but if i buy another full size it will be a C3 (2 moa-1x).

the M4 is nice,but the cr123 batteries arent that hard to come by(M4 uses AA) and 50,000 hours is plenty of battery life for me(i think the M4 is 80,000).

...and i dont dive or use NOD's(to need M3's/M4).

jetsfan

Do you know if you can cowitness with the C3? If so what mount? I kind of like the arms mount but am open to others.

Jermtheory

im a big fan of Larue and ADM mounts.

i prefer the Larue by a small margin...the ADM has more surface engagment,but the Larue lever and lock seems less trouble prone.

probably go with ADM on the Micro because its modular.

either one i'd get in cantilever form(more options with it).

they're not cheap,but you wont find anything tougher and they're QD.

you can get either absolute co-witness or lower 1/3 heights...not sure how it would work with magnification though(if you went with the 2x model).

AK103K

I'm assuming your referring to a cantilever on a flat top AR here. My Aimpoint M2 on a GG&G cantilever mount cowitnesses with the GG&G BUIS's I have on the gun. If its not dead center, its very close to it.

Now the M2's on my AK's do cowitness in the lower third of the tube using a low Aimpoint ring when mounted on an Ultimak rail.

Personally, I'd skip the power and stay with the standard sight with the Aimpoints. If you want power capabilities, there are scopes out there that will fill the bill and still allow for fairly quick close range shooting. I've been eying up one of the 1x4 Trijicon Accu Points for one of my AR's. It already has a Leupold 1.5x5 on it and it works well, but no red dot, or night time capabilities.

jetsfan

I have a stag flat top upper with the regular flip up rear sights. I was looking at the C3 from Cheaper than dirt because of the price and it seems to fit the task I want it for as a range and practice rifle. This would be my first aimpoint and I did kind of like the magnification for longer shots. Unfortunately our regular range is only 25 and 50yds. I did go to the Larue website and his prices aren't bad and he has some nice products. I appreciate all of your guys information and any more you can offer.
Thanks

durian

The Aimpoint Micros seem to be growing in popularity. Though the price is a big ouch compared to the C3.

H-1%20side%20view.jpg

Jermtheory

I've been eying up one of the 1x4 Trijicon Accu Points for one of my AR's.

they're excellent.

i had one in amber mounted in a Larue SPR-E...had to sell it in a pinch a few months back.

looking to get another now.

going with the Aimpoint Micro on my current carbine,but im going to build a middy SPR (type) for the TR21.

jetsfan

I was also looking at the Eotech line and it seems that they are equally as popular but aimpoint seems a little more my thing. Money wise they are about equal as well depending what you are looking for. I will say I am starting to look at the M3 even though its a bit more money. Does anybody know if the C3 would be flawed for range shooting and practice? Or would it be better to get the M3 or equal models? Thanks

Jermtheory

the only advantage you're really going to see with the M3 over the C3 is the water resistence...i think the C3 is good to 5 meters(so unless you're diving that should be plenty).

the M3(not ML3) also has the night vision settings.

there may be better coatings(less glare to give away your position) on the M3's if im not mistaken.

i had the ML3 and loved it...but if i had it to do again,i probably would have been just as well off with the C3.

ive never owned an EOTech but from what i hear they dont hold up as well.they definately dont have the battery life of the Aimpoint.some people do prefer the ret though.

jetsfan

C3 it is then. I am still undecided on the mount but the Larue Tactical is looking pretty good. I haven't ruled out the ARMS either but they both seem very good quality and allow me to cowitness. I really appreciate all the help you guys have given me. After I get this rifle done I am going to do up another one and may try another Aimpoint then just for the variety. It does seem that the C3 is a great deal for the average person and I do not ever intend on doing any diving or other real world work with it that I know of.

Swampghost

My son keeps pushing me to put one on my .44 rifle. It's good to 100 yds. and maybe a little beyond. At 200 yds. the drop is about 18-20 ins. but will still drill a straight hole through a 2X4 on edge. Don't tell the RM! My scope was also falling apart at the time. I was holding 5 round groups inside of 2" at 100 yds. prior.

I'm just accustomed to crosshairs and like to be 'right on', I'm used to cloverleafs. Can an Aimpoint do this?